Wattle Fences

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I am changing from the wimpy plastic garden fence to a sturdy wattle fence. I began last fall and will resume this spring.

Needed is a large supply of saplings. I have ash and maple.

I cut 2" thick x 5' long posts from saplings, used a hatchet to point one end and pounded these in a row about
2 1/2' apart so they ended up 3' high. If you have more pliable saplings like willow, you can place these posts closer.

I took long lengths of 1"thick(at the most) saplings, trimmed the side branches and began weaving them between the posts. I saw that I was running into problems with the 14-18' long ones and started over by building 8' sections or panels. Alternate the wide part of the sapling with the narrow, otherwise one side will be so much high than the other side.
As I finished weaving each long length of sapling on, I stomped it down to be tight and stronger. It is like a large basket weave.

When beginning the next section, just pound the first post of the new section next to to the last post of the previous section. I tried to connect with longer branches but it didn't work with my wood.

It took maybe 30 minutes to do a section. The trimming of the side branches is the time consuming part of it. I didn't cut the saplings all ahead of time because I wanted them green and pliable. I'm not sure if ash and pliable belong in the same sentence but I did it!
There's not a nail or screw in it!
I built this as a one person job, but 2 would have been way better.

This is so attractive and I can grow things up on it without them pulling it down. I want to build one on the road viewed side of my chicken's pen and maybe around the garbage cans.

Did I mention that it is a strong fence for FREE?!

Here is a link with an illustration (I used the bottom style) to give the idea:

http://www.epa.gov/greenacres/wildones/handbk/wo27fence.html

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
This is really a nice coincidence- I have be thinking about making really low wattle fencing for raised beds. I have most of the material but have not started yet.
I have lots of redwood limbs that fall each year and was going to weave them between some really short metal fence posts I bought. The weave will be really big because the branches are pretty stiff. They would be about 8-10 inches high.
I read about pollarding trees that was done in the middle ages specifically for making wattle fencing in mass. A tree such as willow or some nut tree would be cropped at a point on the trunk- then it would re-sprout with a cluster of long, flexible branches that could be harvested each year for fencing. Year after year.

Watersprouts that are pruned in an orchard would make good fencing too.

The other thing I read about was making wattle hurdles that could be moved where needed- those are simply wattle fence panels not attached to posts in the ground. They were used for temporary fencing by tying them to trees and such with string. I suppose these days you could attach them to plastic ste-in fence posts.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That will be so pretty! My DH likes to make wattle stuff. He made a beautiful trellis for raspberries, and a weird fort for the kids.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love these fences. Just no time to make one. Not sure what I would do with it..LOL..I always need alot of fencing..LOL

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I really admire properly made wattle fences. The times I've tried it myself, it has not worked out at all, probably because of unsuitable materials.

I have though sometimes made portable sections (maybe 2' by 8'?) of fence from small branches/twigs too irregular or brittle for wattle, sandwiched top and bottom between longer straight branches and lashed together Real Well with old baler twine. Assembled flat on the ground, of course. They actually don't look as bad as you might think (and would look even better if your baler twine weren't orange! :p Work very well as temporary windbreak/shade devices for newly planted things - just prop up with a few extra sticks poked into the ground at an angle.

I want to plant a dense row of willow to the W of our wet paddock, for drying of soil and windbreak, and coppice them every couple years -- I would *like* this to get to the point where I could use the growth I cut off to try once again making a Real wattle fence like you describe.

Great project, take pix! :)

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I love wattle fencing and would love to have one around my garden. I do not have any saplings where I live and I don't know anyone around here well enough to gleen from their property.

I will probably start growing some appropriate types of willow in one corner of the yard for a privacy screen and to produce willow withes for fence, trellis and furniture making.

Sylvie, I would love to see pics of your fencing! I think this is the ultimate in SS fencing, as it is easily assembled by one person, is strong and durable and built from a renewable resource.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I want to plant many more hazelnuts and coppice these for future projects.
Some wattle fencing is living where you keep bending the plant stems over, weaving the living stems with some pruning. That's another goal for the hazel and I'd like to get that shaped with new young plants. A nut producing, strong, impenetrable fence that could last a century.

Hope to take pics soon.

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
can someone please post a pic of one?, thanks