We got our first egg!!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:D:D:D:D We got our first egg today! Mum thought I'd put one of the fooling eggs in, but I haven't had the time yet, and there it was, just chilling on the top of the shavings by the roost! .... Yep, that chicken sure missed the nest box by like 12 feet LOL.

Here it is by itself...

firstegg.jpg

And next to a store bought egg, I ran out of eggs when making gingerbread and Macs only had white eggs, so sue me.

firsteggcomparestoreegg.jpg

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yippee! Isn't that fun? Mine are giving me about 9-10 eggs a day, which means I've got four loafers out there still (they're 27 weeks old). Fresh eggs are the best, and eggs raised by your own hens are even better! :clap

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don`t you love it! Ours have really slowed down. The young pullets are giving one a day though. Hurray!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:D:D:D:D

Ours are 21 weeks old, and I asked the hatchery when they, on average, start to lay, and they said 20-24 weeks, so mine are pretty good there. I think we might have another ready to lay soon too, there was a girl checking out the corner where that one was laid, so we'll see tomorrow around 11am! lol. Mine are late risers, what can I say....

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We are getting anywhere from 0 to 4 eggs a day right now. Today, we got our first EE egg! I was super excited for that!

No eggs from Her Royal Highness Elizabeth or from Miss Louisa yet, but they are both squatting!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
WOOHOO!! Getting that first egg is so much fun!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh lucky you! Those first eggs are such a thrill. Our chicken's have stopped laying all together. I think I may put a light in their coop after Christmas.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
poppycat said:
Oh lucky you! Those first eggs are such a thrill. Our chicken's have stopped laying all together. I think I may put a light in their coop after Christmas.
Mine have a light twice a day, from 5-8am, then off all day until 4, then off again at 6 for the night.

Tonight I went out and adjusted their feeding situation, I need to get a second hanging feeder for the oyster shells lol, they fill the dish with shavings otherwise and it's getting annoying. I also switched up their feed to layer, but I've mixed their grower with the layer for the next few days.

Latest posts