We have in our basement a box....

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Full of old electronics! Cell phones, pagers, phone cords, modems! Can any of you think of a way to recycle any of this??

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
I know there is an organization that sends old cell phones to the troops.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I haven't heard about sending old phones to the troops, but there is Cell Phones for Soldiers. They recycle old cell phones, and with the money they earn, they send the troops calling cards so that they can call home for free. I believe that they will send you a free pre-paid mailing label to mail in your phone.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think there's also a group that recycles old phones for battered spouses.
Can't remember the name. I'll see if I can find out.

edited to add: www.cellphonesforlife.org (for elderly, disabled, or for battered spouses shelters)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Call your garbage company. I have just learned that there is a place in my small city that will take certain electronic things to recycle.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not sure if you have Radio Shack where you are, but I just saw something on the news the other day about a buy back program.. Maybe there is a place near you doing the same.

gina

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'll bet you could even find somebody on your local Freecycle who would be interested

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Call your garbage company. I have just learned that there is a place in my small city that will take certain electronic things to recycle.
In my small city they have a special recycle place for electronics. None of the local garbage haulers will accept them if they see them. Nor will the regular recycle centers, and if you live outside the city expect to pay a fee for most items. Includes these new light bulbs too.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that all our school busses are fitted out with old cell phones. as long as it will keep a charge you can still call 911. Used to have them scattered all over town for "call boxes" but then the kids got wise about stealing the battery out of them.

Latest posts