We have Kits

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well I recently got into the rabbit business for meat. Started with 3 a buck and 2 does but they are too young to breed at the moment. However, my brother in law came into an entire rabbit farm for cheap and so I also got a bred doe and a 6 month old Buck. Well she had kits this morning at around 2am and we have a 11 new members. If all goes well we will have 9 for the freezer as I have earmarked 2 of them for a friend of mine in repayment for some chickens last spring.

Was very pleased and wanted to share .

Brew

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new babies!! Dinner will be served.......in a couple of months! :lol: Rabbit is very good, you can do anything with rabbit that you can do with chicken. Many years ago I raised rabbits, had so many that I got real creative with recipes....like bunny burgers and rabbit sausage. :gig

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
congrats!

if you ever have the extra meat you should try rabbit sausage. it is WONDERFUL. just butcher your rabbit and debone him and grind the meat. for every 3 lbs of rabbit add 1lb of regular sausage. (you need the fat) and extra sage to taste.

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks all. Looking forward to new recipes with rabbit. Have been looking at the rabbit sausage idea good to hear it is good stuff. Can almost taste it.

Brew

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Congratulations! New kits are the best. I have a few ready to slaughter as well.

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my neighbor discouraged me from raising rabbits because they scream when you kill them....I don't think I could do that...is it hard to process them...have no trouble processing chicken...what is your experience..Thanks

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if you do it right they dont scream. i have only had 1 or 2 do it in all the time we have done rabbits.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've only heard that sound once, when a dog killed a wild rabbit - but it is a sound you never forget. I do agree with ff6, done correctly they don't make a sound.

That brings up the question - how do ya'll kill your rabbits? I've seen the tool where you slide their head in it and pull to dislocate/break their neck. It looks effective but I have no experience with it.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I haven't heard them scream, but I do it a much different way.