Weed ID Needed

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Shiloh Acres said:
Not sure if mine will set seed this year (and I'd want to post a pic or send a sample w/the seeds so you could identify it FOR SURE before you go to the trouble, but I'd be happy to send you seeds if I get any. I may have some older plants w/seeds on some adjacent uncleared land I'm getting ready to fence for the goats. Lots of stuff growing out there. :)
That would be great. :cool: I would recognize the leaf fresh or dried. Thanks.
You're very welcome. Glad to help! Now, just don't let me forget, LOL.

The ones in the garden are this year's (but do they ever set seed the first year? These have growth at the top that looks like it might be finished getting taller and might set seed ... We had a late winter but it still gets warm fairly early here). Also I should be getting onto that weedy land this week or next. I know I'll remember to grab some leaves if I see any (and I bet they are there) so PM me if you don't hear from me within 10 days or so at most. :)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mullen is a wonderful thing to have growing on the property. I have some, wish I had a bigger area...but it grows wild around here, along most roadsides. My mother used it for me as well with asthma. It worked. Grandpa used to dry it and smoke it, in a corn cob pipe. He said it strengthened the lungs...I was always confused about that, smoking it. However, he lived to be 85, and had great strong lungs, it was his heart that gave out eventually. :(

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Shiloh - I looked it up. The flower stalk happens the 2nd year of growth. It said to shake the seed into a paper bag when the flower stalk turns brown. The birds really go for them too.
That other land may have some blooming or getting ready. :)

Justusnak- It's a strong expectorant as a tea. The smoke does it too but I prefer the tea, since it's a bit gentler on the body. Coughing out too much gunk- too fast- is very uncomfortable. :sick Smoking mullein is only for occasional, medicinal use- so it doesn't hurt the body like a nicotine habit does.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I'll get out there asap then, and if seeds are ready I'll get them and then let you see the leaf and tell me if it's right. Though the birds aren't being bad on seed here. I like the little nuthatches and I finally spent $2 putting up a birdfeeder outside my kitchen window. It's been hanging there for about two months and the only things near it are an occasional dirt dauber. It has spiderwebs, I noticed a couple of days ago.

But I'll check on that asap, since the ones in the garden are new this year.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Maybe they don't like the feeders location? :idunno Are there any spots in your yard that have lots of bird activity?

Are there any seeds that you need? I've got a fair assortment if you want to trade.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'll send you a PM. :) But first I want to make sure what I have is what you want, and that I can get seed. :)

(And birds are everywhere, high activity not far away. But they seek first water, and after that nesting places and bugs for food. They don't mess with seeds. Maybe the chickens or guineas scared them off scratch, LOL)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Britesea said:
I would be interested in getting a few seeds of mullein if anyone has some.
I've yet to try harvesting the seeds, but I'll see if I can get some. I'll PM you if I am successful.

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
I accidentally deleted your pm, but I still have those seeds. Glad I know who I was gonna send them to now. I'll need you address.

Latest posts