Weed ID Needed

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
is meullin related to digitalis foxgloves?
they certinaly have a similar structure...

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think we need a weed id thread. So many weeds such as lambs quarter, mullein, chicory and stuff like that are being pulled up by
most of us including me without knowing what they are. Also identifying poisonous weeds is a great thing to know when you have livestock.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
is meullin related to digitalis foxgloves?
they certinaly have a similar structure...
They are members of the same family, Scrophulariaceae, the figworts.

Google

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good for lung issues and ear infections.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I wish it was growing here. I think they look great and like mullein tea if I get a chest cold. They're pretty plants too.
Guess I gotta find seed for some.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not sure if mine will set seed this year (and I'd want to post a pic or send a sample w/the seeds so you could identify it FOR SURE before you go to the trouble, but I'd be happy to send you seeds if I get any. I may have some older plants w/seeds on some adjacent uncleared land I'm getting ready to fence for the goats. Lots of stuff growing out there. :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I think we need a weed id thread. So many weeds such as lambs quarter, mullein, chicory and stuff like that are being pulled up by
most of us including me without knowing what they are. Also identifying poisonous weeds is a great thing to know when you have livestock.
I would love a weed ID thread! I would start one but my camera and my computer do not get along very well lately, they have an argument about things every time. But I cannot identify most of the things growing around here, I can just tell you whether a chicken or a goat will eat it and that is about all I know, except the very obvious ones of course.

We have too much stinging nettle around here to think of grabbing much in the woods for toilet paper.........

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
Not sure if mine will set seed this year (and I'd want to post a pic or send a sample w/the seeds so you could identify it FOR SURE before you go to the trouble, but I'd be happy to send you seeds if I get any. I may have some older plants w/seeds on some adjacent uncleared land I'm getting ready to fence for the goats. Lots of stuff growing out there. :)
That would be great. :cool: I would recognize the leaf fresh or dried. Thanks.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I was younger and we were dirt broke and no insurance, Mom would dry the mullein leaves on a screen in the garage and when I would have an asthma attack, she would make it into tea. Would really help relieve the attack. So, NOT a bad weed, as weeds go. :)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Some people around here deliberately grow it in their gardens because it's a pretty plant. I believe it's also a member of the same family as tobacco and nicotiana, etc. Or maybe I'm making that up, but they do look a lot alike.

Latest posts