Weeds: An untapped resource.

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I cut weeds every day for my chickens. They love it and ask for more in the afternoon. I sometimes allow myself to feed them again as a treat. It really cuts down on my feed bill. I like to pick different varieties everyday. The dog likes the walk as well.

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
As much as people complain about Kudzu spreading all of it is very nutritious for animals and people and foliage tastes like green peas raw. I made a Kudzu leaf casserole last year. It was delicious! Be careful with weeds many are medicinal or edible!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have been trying to naturalize dandelions in my pasture, but all the animals zero in on them and eat them up!!! I actually fill my pockets with mature seed heads and scatter them in the pasture. They are so nutritious. But no success yet. The pasture is young, having been forsest just a few short years ago. So the soil conditions must not be quite right yet, plus everyone jumps on the slightest sign of a dandelion in my crew.

I dig up the worst of the dandelions in my lawn and toss them over the fence, where they are inhaled!! Very nutritious little weeds. I find the leaves far too bitter for my taste, but I read this winter about batter-frying the young blossoms in the spring, supposed to resemble button mushrooms in texture. Sounds wonderful, I will be picking some fairly soon!

I've read wonderful things about comfrey, too, but it has not been in the budget yet. I will be naturalizing that in my pastures as well, eventually. The deeper the roots, the more minerals and nutrients can be drawn up into the leaves.

Meanwhile, I have lots of goldenrod, and took the blade off my scythe today to peen it, but didn't quite get to that chore yet. I have a little while until anything is tall enough to cut with the scythe! But it will all be hayed this year and come into the barn.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Very nutritious little weeds. I find the leaves far too bitter for my taste, but I read this winter about batter-frying the young blossoms in the spring, supposed to resemble button mushrooms in texture. Sounds wonderful, I will be picking some fairly soon!
I attended a program that featured dandelion edibles and the battered buds weren't bad!
I pick very new leaves before the buds appear and throw them in a mixed green salad and haven't found them too bitter or disagreeable.

I juiced mature big leaves for a friend who wanted a tonic and mild diuretic. Diluted with water she took a shot glass of it. Now,that was bitter!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I pick very new leaves before the buds appear and throw them in a mixed green salad and haven't found them too bitter or disagreeable.
You can take them as well as other "weeds" like plantain and make them in to a tonic. When you put them in vinegar, lots of vitamins and minerals are released in to the vinegar. VERY high in calcium.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
xineohpoel said:
As much as people complain about Kudzu spreading all of it is very nutritious for animals and people and foliage tastes like green peas raw. I made a Kudzu leaf casserole last year. It was delicious! Be careful with weeds many are medicinal or edible!
Kudzu was actually imported to be a source of cattle feed. It is tasty, I've heard, but you have to eat it before it eats you - or your house! :gig

Be careful eating lots of weeds high in oxalic acid. Those of us who suffer with arthritis should limit our intake, it seems to exacerbate the symptoms.

Many of our weeds were actually brought here by the colonists and various immigrant groups since as medicinal or edible herbs. Plantains are known as 'white man's footprints' by the natives out west, they were spread both by footprints and by the railroad. Do a search for 'plantain' on this page and you'll be amazed. Bee stings are only one thing they treat, all you need to do is chew a leaf a bit and plaster it on the site and the sting will be greatly relieved.

Here is a great (but incomplete) listing of the benefits of 'weeds'. Clicky!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I've heard that about vinegar, too. Makes me think having vinegar-based dressings might help boost the nutrition of salad. I've also heard that when making chicken stock, a glug of vinegar in the pot will help draw calcium from the bones and into the stock.

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ah Reinbeau it isn't that bad lol. It is pretty contained in most areas that I've seen. It only is on the edges of forests and usually stays confined to that area. Not bad for 50 + years of growth. Problems do arise however when one clears all the land around it and gives it new sunny area to grow. That is when it starts shackling cars and homes. :lol:
There is a Kudzu farm nearby in NC that raises all their animals mostly on Kudzu. According to the lady that owns it they had to plant two more acres in Kudzu last year because the animals ate is so fast they ran out.

It is easy to kill if the nodes are cut off.

I was reading about plantain yesterday hehe. Thanks for the links!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Kudzu makes an interesting honey, it's grape colored, and a bit grape flavored! Kinda fun to sell as a novelty, I can't get used to the taste.