Weeds: which ones are most troublesome for you?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm in the mountain region of southeastern British Columbia. Our weed problems in our gardens are fairly common ones for gardens in our region. The most common and persistently troublesome, for us, seem to be: quack grass (a.k.a. "couch grass"), buttercup, horsetail, dandelion, mallow, and chickweed - with the first four in that list being the ones most aggravating to deal with, i'd say.:barnie

Which ones are the most problem for you? Any efficient and clever ways you've found for dealing with them?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We're in the Rocky Mountain foothills/prairie edges along the Elbow River Valley--alkaline clay soil is predominant--most common weeds in our garden are: dandelion, Canada thistle, lamb's quarters, and what I think is perennial sowthistle. We also get the odd salsify (but I like them so I let them grow if they are in the flower beds) and even rarer mullein. We had quack grass, lots of ox-eye daisy and some kind of knapweed at our old house, but this yard doesn't seem to be plagued by any of those (knock on wood).

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A few years ago, Canada thistle was a spreading problem here, but it seems our hand weeding knocked it back almost to nil. We find it very infrequently now.

I guess I should have mentioned hawkweed, too. Not so much a problem in our gardens as in the hilly field both near and above our pond. A rapdly invasive plant (similar to dandelion in how it propagates, and how quickly). I use the weedwhacker for that one, cutting off the flower stalks and trying to get them before the seeds form.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Giant ragweed and blackberry.
I've used clover as a cover crop to hopefully drown them out, but still have to get in there before they take over the garden.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
Out here its goat heads, tumble weeds yucca and misquite.
Can you use the mesquite as a fuel for barbecuing or for smoking fish/meat? Seems to me I've heard that you can. Or is that only once it reaches a certain level of growth and maturity?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Dock, poke, spiny pig weed, jimson weed, and various other members of the night shade family.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
terri9630 said:
Out here its goat heads, tumble weeds yucca and misquite.
Can you use the mesquite as a fuel for barbecuing or for smoking fish/meat? Seems to me I've heard that you can. Or is that only once it reaches a certain level of growth and maturity?
You could if you wanted to take the time to cut it up. Out here in the desert it is more of a shrub. Nothing much thicker than your thumb. Now when we lived in South/central Tx the mesquite were trees. They grow like oaks. We just don't get the rain here for that. Maybe 10" a year.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does "the forest" count? :gig

Tree root suckers, green brier and blackberry brambles are the worst for us.

I'm one of the weird ones who lets dandelions, pigweed, poke sallet, chickweed and mullein grow as they all serve as either food for us or the livestock or medicinal purposes. I just move them from the garden to their own designated "weed patch". ;)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
Does "the forest" count? :gig

Tree root suckers, green brier and blackberry brambles are the worst for us.

I'm one of the weird ones who lets dandelions, pigweed, poke sallet, chickweed and mullein grow as they all serve as either food for us or the livestock or medicinal purposes. I just move them from the garden to their own designated "weed patch". ;)
If I had more land, I probably would to. But since I don't, pigweed, poke and mullein normally come out. Others come out only if they're in the garden. I don't care if I have chickweed and/or dandelions growing in my yard.