Weird rash/bite/itching

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Ok, this is a weird one.
DH thought he had a bite on his forehead 2 days ago. But it seemed more like a pimple in reality.
Cleaned it out, and a few hours later, the itching set in. And I spread up his scalp.
We went berry picking all day yesterday, and in the afternoon, he noticed the itching getting much worse.
It starts at the eyebrow and extends to the top of his head. And it is rather severe.
No sign of a true rash that we can see, and the supposed bite just looks like a large skeeter bite that got scratched.
I thought about it being a spider bite, but it does not fit. Not a wasp or a bee either.

We have tried the following to no avail.
Hydro-cortisone
Benedryl, both oral and topical
Plantain

DesertChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sounds like he may have been bitten by a buffalo fly. They're common here (northern NV) and I'm extremely allergic to them. The bite starts out like a tiny mosquito bite with intense itching. The redness and swelling spreads and the site of the bite will also form tiny blisters. What I use is a drawing salve on the bite and if the itching is intense, I apply ice to numb the area. If that doesn't work, then I take benadryl as a last resort. It will often take as long as a week for the bite and itching to disappear.

I have found that "Bite Free" repellent works well for the flies (and mosquitoes) but sometimes I forget to use it!

Hope he finds some relief! ~Margie

ETA: where "here" is! lol

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
DesertChick said:
Sounds like he may have been bitten by a buffalo fly. They're common here (northern NV) and I'm extremely allergic to them. The bite starts out like a tiny mosquito bite with intense itching. The redness and swelling spreads and the site of the bite will also form tiny blisters. What I use is a drawing salve on the bite and if the itching is intense, I apply ice to numb the area. If that doesn't work, then I take benadryl as a last resort. It will often take as long as a week for the bite and itching to disappear.

I have found that "Bite Free" repellent works well for the flies (and mosquitoes) but sometimes I forget to use it!

Hope he finds some relief! ~Margie

ETA: where "here" is! lol
Nothing like that up here in Alaska :(
And no blistering either.
The "rash" was invisible, but due to scratching, the area is all red.
Poor guy can't help it!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My hubby would be so proud if he knew I was asking this question, since I razz him all the time about doing it himself, but.... could you take a pic for us to look at? I am racking my brain thinking what you might have encountered blueberry picking. All that comes to mind are blackflies, mosquitoes, horse flies, deer flies, poison ivy, etc...

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Camera is broken :(
It does not look like anything!
Just a large skeeter bite! Maybe 1/4 inch square?
And it has an 8" perimeter that itches intensely.

We have no poison ivy/oak up here, and the only thing like that is Wild celery, and that is nasty stuff! You get into it, and if you are in the sun at all before washing it off, it photosynthesizes. The rash is horrible looking and spreads all over the place, just like poison ivy.

Also the bite was a day prior to picking blueberries. It just became and issue right before we headed out, and slowly intensified through the day.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Make a paste of baking soda and water and dab it on. It may be a little late, but that usually gets the poison out, if there is any, or it will at least help it to heal and not get infected. I do that with all bites of unknown origin. Usually the itching goes away quickly. It also works well for bee stings. :thumbsup

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We use powdered vitamin C in a paste for bites. It is a natural antihistamine and works great.