Well my SS family.....

stubbornhillfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
moolie said:
We had our first when we lived in a very small (tiny) apartment, and really little ones don't take up much space. You'll need somewhere for baby to sleep (with you or in a crib), space for baby clothes (an empty drawer, easily accessible box, or shelf will be fine). We always changed diapers on the floor on a change pad, so don't let anyone talk you into extra "furniture" for baby--their stuff really doesn't take up that much space!
I totally agree... the only baby furniture we had at first was the bassinet, and a changing pad we put on top of our dresser (I had a c-section so for the first few weeks there was no way I could have changed a baby on the floor). I bought used baby clothes online and they stayed in a large diaper box underneath the bassinet.

moolie said:
What comforts did you absolutely need after baby?
A supportive partner is also huge, my hubs was actually the one who would hear baby waking in the middle of the night before I did (because I was just so exhausted) and he would quietly get up and get baby changed and ready for feeding before she started to really get crying. I think that's part of why she was able to sleep through the night so early on, her needs were always met. Not to say that every guy is like this, I'm just incredibly fortunate that mine was.
This was huge for me too... hubby did the same thing. He took 6 weeks off working to look after me because we don't have any family close, and it was three weeks after the c-section before I was really comfortable doing everything I used to.

It took me so long to get up and ready to nurse that he would already have Aeryn changed and ready to just hand to me. I absolutely could not have done it without his help... Aeryn's needs were always met as fast as possible and she became a quiet, confident baby who very rarely cries now. She knows if she makes her needs known, they will be met... we're teaching her sign language so she can let us know what she wants before she learns to speak clearly.

Babies don't need big fancy rooms, or houses like that to live in. They need hugs, kisses, love and attention... they need to be clean, fed and have a place to sleep. They need to feel secure and safe in their home, no matter what it looks like, or how big it is.

Congratulations and Amen to the above words.

Running water would be helpful for sure. Shelter, food, clothing and love are all a baby needs. Same with us really. :D But the shelter, food and clothing don't have to be the brand new latest and greatest. The baby doesn't know or doesn't care!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As a follow-up on how we've raised our kids, I took my oldest (almost 16-yo) daughter shopping yesterday--some Mom and daughter time now that her semester exams are done and she's not back to school till next week.

There were very few stores she wanted to go into, other than the Indigo (big box) book store. She's by no means a clothes horse and happiest in a t-shirt and (no-name) jeans. She enjoyed our window shopping and did look at things, but didn't want/need anything. We had a good chat and time together.

Our kids have never clamored for us to buy something shiny on the shelf (say, when out grocery shopping) and they just aren't materialistic--always have difficulty making a Christmas wish list. We're very proud of them in this regard, especially as they have chosen really good friends as they've grown up, friends who have similar values.

Back to the OP--running water is definitely important, but if your access is a similar distance away from your unit as it would be in a regular house, you may be just fine.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My first child...all I had was the car seat and the diaper bag. We didn't actually get our own place, (base housing), till the baby was almost 1.5, and it was overseas.

Florezian

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I feel so much better, this is exactly what I needed.

It is easy for me to stand by my gardens and baking soda toothpaste because it really only affects me. If people want to talk, so be it. I know it is what's best for me.
It's a little different when your decisions affect a child. I'm young, so everyone has an opinion and it's a bit intimidating.

My SO is absolutely supportive. I'm so lucky to have him. We'll be in the off season when the baby is born so he'll be able to take time off and he makes his own schedule as it is. His parents are thrilled beyond belief and live close. They actually still have a crib from their first grandson and we always have the option of going there when we need some "comfort."

He's older and we've made it through a lot in the past two years. He's more into the technological world,:rolleyes: but at the same point he's completely supportive of my SS endeavors. I think he was more in love with our chicks than I was.

We are definately going to look into that sink. (I saw some suggestions in the posts, I'll read them over again..) The water is very close (not farther than a house's garage) but for bathing baby, and doing dishes, some sort of water inside is necessary for my sanity.

I have been taking a prenatal. :) I just feel like the best place to get nutrients is through food first. I believe the folic acid is for brain development and to prevent neural tube defects. I found out at only four weeks, and I've been on it since then. :D