Well, we keep talking about it, someone has to ask Nifty...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Number 2, because it will be easier for us to just hit reply to our own thread, update it without changing all of it, or the title, or the original post. People can ask us questions in our threads/journals about how or why we did something, readily see what we have done.

We want a spot where comments can be posted, even if it turns into a way off course discussion.

Or, to keep the journals from being cluttered in #2, have a sticky thread titled "Comments to Journals" where people can comment there if they don't want to post directly into another person's journal.

Maybe something like "The Day in the Life" instead of Journals? Threads would be titled "A Day in the Life of Beekissed" etc.

Boy, we all like using Beekissed for our examples LOLOLOL

ETA: I have never used the mypage tool!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, I think any comments to someone's journal should be kept within that journal, having extra threads for comments is going to make a mess for anyone to manager, author, administrator or moderator. But I think Option 2 is what people were asking for here.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Well, I think any comments to someone's journal should be kept within that journal, having extra threads for comments is going to make a mess for anyone to manager, author, administrator or moderator. But I think Option 2 is what people were asking for here.
Yes, that makes sense!

And I should have said, I don't mind if MINE were to go off course, etc, but I can't say for other members.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Number 2, definitely....if I understand the description, it would be like any other Forum category in its operation and each thread would be someone's journal on which they and anyone else can post. I could just go to Journal category, scroll down to access Quails Journal: A Day in the Life of Quail's Menagerie ;) and follow her daily entries if I so wish.

Its a quick way of journaling one's progress and being able to follow a single thread from conception without having to sort through other threads for pics one has already posted, recipes, etc. If someone wanted one of my projects and I've posted pics of it on my journal, one could just reference that post # on my journal thread instead of posting pics once again....just one example.

Glad you are on board, Nifty! The My Page isn't as rough and ready as a normal thread, no offense! This just gives us ease of use this way.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Sound very interesting. Two questions:

1) How is this diff. from "Me & My Self Sufficient Family"? Do we get rid of that section?
2) How do we make sure this section doesn't just become a single place where everyone posts everything about anything instead of the proper sections?

Not poo pooing the idea, I just like to make sure things are a good idea and are setup for success before we go down the path.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I guess we could utilize the Me & My family section, if its okay to make a running thread like this without seeming to monopolize the section by posting daily or just very often. It would be real easy to just add to the title to indicate that this is what the section is for...sort of like: Me & My Self-Sufficient Family: A Journal

I can see where it would be easy to only post there and not put some posts in the proper place....of course this whole forum is about sharing ideas and helping each other, so I would hope people would still post in the appropriate categories if they wanted everyone to note a particular idea or thread.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Nifty said:
Sound very interesting. Two questions:

1) How is this diff. from "Me & My Self Sufficient Family"? Do we get rid of that section?
2) How do we make sure this section doesn't just become a single place where everyone posts everything about anything instead of the proper sections?

Not poo pooing the idea, I just like to make sure things are a good idea and are setup for success before we go down the path.
It's different because we won't have to dig through a gazzillion different threads to update our journal.

I think people would still post hunting stuff in the hunting section, and recipes in the recipe section etc.

Couldn't we just try it? and if it doesn't work, you could take it away? ;)

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay, we've got the new Journal section in the Social category!!!

Let's see how it goes and come up with ideas / ways to make it better.

NOTE: I do have one requirement: You must put your username at the very beginning of the title!

Have fun!!!