We're freezing! Part 2 - better water heater?

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As I said in my "part 1" post... our house is flippin' cold. Our water heater has not worked properly for about 8 months and winter w/freezing water sucks. :barnie

We have to go outside to light the pilot light on our broken water heater every time we want hot (warm) water. It's an "on demand" water heater that runs on propane. It was not made for a large home like ours nor for the needs of a family of 6.

Our landlords know they need to replace it. My husband doesn't think the on demand water heater is right for this house. He says because we use hot water so much, that this type of heater does not save us money.

What do you think? What type of water heater would be best for us? I'd like to tell the landlords what to buy so we don't get one installed that is still inadequate. :/

I'm really hoping someone can give some sort of advice because I haven't a clue about these things. :fl

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not sure. What about talking to a local person who is knowledgeable about that stuff? They would probably better know about your weather conditions and everything.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is your house on propane? Would a standard 50 to 75 gallon gas water heater work? How about you call the people who provide your gas? Ask them what they would recommend for the size of your house. Maybe rebates are available for a more energy efficient one.

I hate to say it but it sounds like your landlords want to spend as little as possible on the place. Be prepared to defend your rights.

g

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, Tanks. I will have my husband call and talk to our propane company. Good idea. :)

The landlord thing is complicated. We live on a cattle ranch owned by 6 siblings. The acting landlord, who also lives on the ranch, is very nice and casual but the siblings.... :/ .

There is a long list of things that need to be fixed here but for some reason, they all need to agree to fix them - like the second bath we pay for that we haven't been able to use for 1 year. The acting landlord wants fix the whole bath but the siblings didn't approve the estimated cost. They own the land and houses on it free and clear except for the inheritance tax. It's been in the family for at least 110+ years. The acting landlord has thrown her hands up and "quit" in an attempt to get her siblings to be more reasonable and let her do her job.

Because of our desperate need for the current schooling situation for our children we feel any upset might leave us up a creek and homeless with kids, no school, and 100 small farm animals to disperse (yes, we use them - they're not just pets).

It all does sound pretty bad when I type it out, though. :( I think it's time to have a serious talk with my neighbor/landlord again. *sigh*

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well the "on demand" water heater is just that---even with 6 people in the house, every time you want hot water it will be there....even with a big water heater tank 6 people could use up the hot water fast lol

I would go to the hardware store (Lowes or Home Depot or whatever you have) and seriously talk to someone about the options.

You gotta have hot water for the kids and I think with a bit of explanation from the store, you can easily choose the best option for that home.

the electric used for on demand is not that much vs. alot of propane used to continually keep that water up to temp----but again, go ask someone and read up on each.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since I know you're on propane, maybe you could install/upgrade (depending on where hook-ups are) a gas heater AND blower? Mama just got one to upgrade (running the old one - 17 yrs old - was giving us headaches, so we're assuming at a minimum it wasn't fully burning the LP, maybe even putting out carbon monoxide *shudder*), and the cost for both was less than $200. Don't remember if we've got a 100 or 150 gallon tank, but the gas heater, the oven, and the hot water are LP, and that one tank has been going for over a year now - and due to cost, my parents almost never fill it full.

And just gonna throw this out there - the current blower works fine, it's the heater that doesn't. It fits a Tropic Rinnai (or was that Rinnia?) 3-burner model. Maybe do some research and see if this blower would fit your current heater? Mama's been talking about trying to salvage the blower for a yard-sale or somesuch, but I might be able to talk her into just shipping if it fits....

Latest posts