We're freezing! What about kerosene heat?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree with the electric blankets. I also use a small electric space heater that has a thermostat. That way it can turn itself off. But with your place being so cold it would probably never shut off.

I bought really ugly thermal blankets to hang over my kids windows. They helped a lot.

Maybe you could get rid of the blowing fireplace insert and just stick in a wood stove. I think it may heat better.

Good luck.

g

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Moving into the downstairs is a good option and you can keep all the clothing and such upstairs, close it off and just keep the beds downstairs. It may embarass the kids but at least you are all warm and together for the winter.

I'd be planning for a wood stove next year. Heat rises and your upstairs will be very toasty next winter with a woodstove downstairs. I bet, if this is an old farm house, they have an existing chimney in which to vent your wood stove.

Also....you might want to buy some insulation, one roll at a time. That way it doesn't take such a bite out of your finances and you can ask the landlord about taking it off the rent. I'd make sure that attic is insulated before next summer/winter sets in.

Another thing...have you contacted your local Community Action and seen if you qualify for weatherization? Even if you rent, you could qualify. I've seen them replace all the windows, roofs, flooring, blow in insulation, etc. for houses. They make the landlord sign a paper stating he will not raise the rent due to the improvements on the home for X amount of years.

My landlord was quite interested and I am currently filling out the paperwork for MY old rental farmhouse. I have the same kind of windows and have to plastic some of them each year. I could NOT LIVE in this place without my woodstove!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh definitely on the electric mattress pads! I was giving electric free options, but I LOVED my mattress pad! I used it for 2 years, but it started wearing thin around my feet and would burn me, so just be sure to give them a good once over after some use.
I would turn the electric pad on 8 (out of 10 :D ) and let it go while I took a scalding hot shower and dressed in the steam - then I would run and jump in bed. lol I used it on "2" most nights, after the initial warm up. I found the mattress pad to be much better than a regular blanket.

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, it's been a while since we decided what to do but I said I would report back on it so....

After reading this article - http://www.milesstair.com/kero_heaters.html

and these reviews - http://www.tractorsupply.com/home-i...rosene-heater-23-000-btu-3070559#BVRRWidgetID

I bought this heater for $129 - http://www.tractorsupply.com/home-i...or-radiant-kerosene-heater-23-000-btu-3070559

and this fuel for $38 - http://www.lowes.com/pd_156587-78-C...rosene&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=kerosene

We read the manual, crack open the three upstairs windows 1 inch when it's running, and have a carbon monoxide detector up there just in case. We've already dry burned and cleaned the filter as directed to do periodically for maintenance. It does not smell bad. Except for a few minutes at start up and shut down, when you can smell some kerosene, any odors just reminds me of that warm smell that fills a room when you burn candles. If the wick is adjusted properly as the instructions say (and pictures show) on the side of the heater, it does not smell bad and burns safely. It also has many safety features such as instant shut off if it is bumped. I think a float in the tank signals when the surface of the fuels moves as it would if you were to try an move it while on.

How does it perform? Wow, that thing makes it nice and toasty! :love It burns about 1/4 to 1/2 a tank (2 gallon tank) each time we turn it on (for about 2 hours). We only turn it on during the coldest nights. Those nights are comfy after running the heater for just two hours. The slightly opened windows do not affect the heat in the room.

We also turn on the downstairs heater more often even though it is expensive to do. Mostly we keep the fire going in the morning and start it up again around 4pm.

It can still get cold in general, but we're more comfortable now and can crank up the heater if it is really needed so... :thumbsup

Thank you, all, for you help. I may still go out and buy the heated matress pad, though. That would be heaven. :)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have a Dyna-glo kero heater that we've been using during this cold snap here in the South, & I've been kinda surprized at the negative comments about them. (I think the newer models are much safer than the older ones.) Yes, we DO have a CO detector & we don't run it when we're sleeping, & have had no problems with the dogs & cats approaching it whatsoever (no 2-legged kids here). The only smell is for a few minutes when it's turned off. Kero down the road from us is $3.50/gal. We run it first thing in the morning for a few hours, then again for a few hours in the evening. I love being toasty! :D

I'm glad you found a good way to keep warm! Frozen shampoo is not a good thing (reminds me of the old "Little House" stories, when Laura Ingalls talked about having to break the ice in the water basin to wash her face in the morning). :p