We're freezing! What about kerosene heat?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Does it really get THAT cold in Silicon Valley?? :th

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One of my friends lives in a not-well-sealed trailer, and every winter, they duct tape plastic (thicker than garbage bags, re-use it every year) over all the windows and over the back door, b/c it makes that much of a difference.

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AL said:
I lived in a trailer without heat for 4 years. It got so cold one year my shampoo froze (not solid - but kind of like gel, it would stand in your hand).
:gig My dish soap is like that. I was wondering what in the heck happened to it. :lol: But, it's sitting on my window sill and our shampoo is still runny so I'm sure it's not nearly as cold in here as your trailer must have been. Brrrr!!!

Thank you for the great ideas! I just remembered that I have a roll of left over plastic I used to cover my barn walls with in my rabbitry. It's definitely thicker than a black trash bag. I'll go bring it in and put it over all the windows up there.

I also LOVE your foot warmer idea - mainly because now I have something I can do with all my rice stored in #10 cans. Turns out my son is allergic to rice and oats so what else are we gonna do with all of it? :) I'm gonna go whip up several for the kiddos.

Thank you. And thank you all for the words of caution about the kerosene heater. Though the model we looked at seems to be fairly bottom heavy, my kids are known to drop, toss, and throw just about everything and a few years ago we had to take out every matchstick and lighter out of the house because my, then, 5 yr old appeared to be a budding pyro. A kerosene heater would probably be too much for him. What was I thinking? :rolleyes: Thank you. We'll look into insulating better, adding blankets to our down comforters, and consider looking an electric heater again. :/

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Even if your house is not well insulated covering up ALL your windows can make a great deal of difference. Use plastic AND blankets, or thick drapes. If there is any possible way to close up your upstairs and sleep downstairs I would do so. Remember heat rises so if you can shut a door to upstairs that will help. Camp out in your living room if you have to. Personally I would stay away from kerosene heaters.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow 40 is super cold in a home....seriously that is super cold for kids

I would invest maybe in electric blankets for the beds. Or get the electric mattress pads.....I am sure your beds are just "cold" to the touch and warmth right where ya need it, like the actual bed would be more important.

At least you can crawl into a warm bed and feel cozy and it would not suck out tons of electricity costs as trying to heat an uninsulated house with those windows.

warm the beds and at least the kids could sit on the bed and do homework, watch tv or whatever, but it would be a warm spot to hit when needed.

Heating a home where the "heat goes right thru the windows and the walls" is just insanity....I feel for you big time. It is throwing money right out the door and you don't even feel warm.

I hate kerosene heaters but they are good in emergencies when power went out for us in winter. But I replaced it with a propane fireplace which I love....and yes, the kerosene stinks! :( and are dangerous for used as a primary source of heat....emergencies sure, heating a home permanently, I would be very very cautious on that one.

next crazy suggestion is MOVE. if at all possible I would move since you are renting. I know it might be impossible but keep an eye out for something to rent that does not require that all your money is spent trying to stay warm.......that landlord should be shot for renting that place to you in that condition....spending $1000 on heating is insanity and you must find a way to save money better than that in your daily life.

best of luck to you and I hope you can find an answer.....

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Electric blankets would be better and safer than kerosene.

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No, it does not get this cold in the Silicon Valley. We used to live there before we moved out here. I just haven't updated my personal info. We're about 1 1/2 hours from the SV now. My husband still commutes there every day.

Now we live out in the country - in the boon docks of a town that most people here consider the boon docks (so the boon docks of the boon docks). lol We're only a 20 minute drive from town but it gets 10 degrees hotter and 10 degrees colder than in town. We were a short hike from the snow line last year. It may not be cold for most of you but here, in CA, where you can't even buy wool sweaters except at a ski shop (far from here), and many homes don't have central heating (or air conditioning), we're left poorly prepared.

We moved here for our children. For the school specifically. Though our children are not physically disabled, they have special needs that have not been met elsewhere. The good news is that, for the first times in their lives, they're able to go to a school that works for them! AND we're only 6 minutes from the school out here. So, it's definitely a sacrifice for us to live here but what we get out of it is nothing short of miracles. We can't consider moving elsewhere right now but do have our ears open for possibilities.

Okay, so, blankets AND plastic on windows, rice bag foot warmers, electric blankets. I like all of these suggestions. I actually thought of the electric blanket idea just before I checked this thread again. I had no idea they made electric mattress covers! I'm going to have to google that. I think you're right about not trying to heat a virtually unheatable space. I'll focus on the windows and beds.

You know, my husband and I have actually thought it might be better to move the family downstairs for the winter. If I can't make a significant difference by trying all your suggestions, we will do just that. I don't think we really have much choice. Now, I don't think using a kerosene heater is the answer. At least this house was built to be a boarding house. It has three rooms downstairs that could be used as bedrooms and we can always sleep on the floor in the living room. :/

I'll try out your suggestions and report back in a few days about what we did and how it worked.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I too had horrible experiences with a kerosene heater (back in the 70s) when I was a kid. My parents got one to save fuel oil. I had a headache every day. The fumes the thing put out when it was turned on were horrible.
I hope you find a solution soon!
Frozen shampoo??? Man, that's cold!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You have to worry about carbon monoxide poisoning with kerosene heaters; a carbon monoxide alarm would be a must. Carbon monoxide is a heavy gas and gathers lower down to the floors. I think the alarms are supposed to be plugged in to a lower wall outlet.

If you get carbon monoxide poisoning you have to get to a hyperbaric chamber immediatly. Usually those are far and few between.

Unless you were a heating expert or living with one, I personally wouldn't risk it.

(I did have one when I lived in a drafty garage apt in North TX. It worked very well and it was cheap to run. My dad (an expert at everything) kept his eye on it for me.)

Now I only have a wood stove. I'm still investing in a carbon monoxide alarms this winter, as they are predicting a cooold winter this year.

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I lived with only kerosene heaters for 5 years. The first few were not so bad, but it eventually drove me out of the house and to get a woodstove. If you can find something like this http://www.alexyokohama.com/Products/Kerosen_Fan_Heater_FH-6740H.html they are pretty safe and fuel efficient, but you need to keep a window cracked open or open a door or window every hour.
They only run on 3 hour cycles and shut off automatically. These and the old wick type also shut off if tipped over or bumped. Get a safety fence or make one for around the stove. Don't be tempted to dry wet clothing near or on the fence, or especially above the stove. This type work well and only stink at start up and shut off, but they suck a lot of kero. http://www.amazon.com/Sengoku-KeroHeat-Convection-Portable-Kerosene/dp/B000KKO33A
Used with care they can get you through the winter till you get a more permanent solution. Be safe.