We're selling our house... and buying a FARM!

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
About your ad-take the following out:
1) so you could buy this, put some money and sweat equity into it and sell it for a great profit.
and, re:(Asking $35000 firm.)
2) that is less than we have invested in the house.

Get a sale, first or you'll be sitting on two properties and they both will need attention. In 1999, I had two properties at the same time, BUT, the first was paid for, and it was in town where DH and me worked, and eldest DD were going to college, so it wasn't vacant. ALSO, DH and I moved in the early 1980's without selling our house. Renters eventually trashed the interior, and it was only by the grace of God that we finally sold the headache.
That farm property isn't going to move as fast as the realter suggests, and even if it does, it takes gumption to live on that much acreage. My property was suggested to me before the people we bought it from bought it and moved in. They were elderly and got sick before they had been there 10 years--in a good economy, mind you. Less acreage is more attractive to buyers. I was told that I was foolish to have only 5 acres for my horses. It would have been BETTER for me to have bought 20 acres in an equine community, undeveloped. Well, those properties are now being foreclosed on. With my brand new equine fencing (see an example below), I could sell my place in a heartbeat because it has all of the things in the property you are looking at, but now looks ready to move into.
March2007gardentrainingringpic2.jpg
<--March, 2007 August, 2010 below
August2010trainingring4.jpg
August2010trainingring11.jpg
BTW, the first photo is of my elderly herd, now passed on AND, yes, Virginia, horses LOVE to have a daily lie-down, where they look dead and scare their owners.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I don't know... country properties around here, if they are close to a city, go quick, and I mean quick.

But as far as rent to own, be very leary. When we moved to LaSalle form up north, the economy in Iroquois Falls had tanked and houses were NOT selling. We opted for a rent to own agreement. It was not the best scenario. They ended up not buying the house, tore up the carpet in the basement and replaced it with nothing, and destroyed the upstairs bathroom. All repairable, but still... We had to rent it out too which was a nighmare also

We eventually sold the place,

If you do opt to rent to own, pm me, we have a fairly good contract somewhere.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I don't know... country properties around here, if they are close to a city, go quick, and I mean quick.

If you do opt to rent to own, pm me, we have a fairly good contract somewhere.
Yep... because this is a farming community, that much land, that close to town (it's 4 miles to Main Street, the malls and downtown) will go quickly... although the land isn't developed as farmland, most of it is a woodlot.

We've applied for the financing, and will find out on Monday... the sellers have now accepted our offer (we put a pending financing clause in there). Our current home is nearly paid off, so we'd only have to carry the two mortgages until April... in an absolute worst case scenario. Our two mortgages would probably total a lot less than most people's one mortgage :)

I love your property Ducks4you... My old gelding, who's now passed on too, used to lay down every day at 2pm and snore REALLY loudy with his head stuck in the round bale feeder... I swore he would hold his breath just to make me go over to check on him... it drove me crazy :)

I'd rather not do the rent-to-own thing, I'd really prefer a normal, easy sale and be done with the old house....

Latest posts