West/South Deck...Should I convert it into a sunroom/greenhouse?

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have been thinking about erecting a greenhouse, however, I just don't have the funds. I do, however, have a covered deck that is on the end of the (trailer) house that faces west, with one (short) side on the south.

What do you think about putting poly on the sides of the deck and make it a greenhouse? We don't use it for anything at the moment, and there are stairs that I could access from the outside in the spring.

I would have to put down some sort of sheeting wood (which we have extra) on the floor, but I think the whole concept is doable.

So, please advise if this might be a good plan, and any potential problems you might see me encountering.

Thanks in advance!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I see you are in North West Montana. It gets pretty cold there doesn't it? If you going to cover a raised deck in poly, about the only thing you'd be able to use it for, would be as a wind break for your house. Since the floor of the deck is elevated above the ground, that is one more area that the cold will be able to penetrate, even if you heavily insulate it. A better idea would be to build a new structure, on or in the ground, and to use thermopane windows on the walls. If you doing this for the thermal gain( to help heat your house) make sure you dig down and insulate the foundation of the new structure to serve as a frost break and use a LOT of thermal mass in the construction. Otherwise, you will have to supply some sort of heating system.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You would need to cover it only with plastic sheeting, not rigid panels, and probably accept a somewhat poor seal with the house. (Because decks usually move a bit). And it will NOT work as a wintertime greenhouse very well, since it will either be super cold at night or EXTREMELY expensive to heat.

But if you want it only as a sunroom to sit in during sunny days, sure why not; you might even be able to get a little passive solar heating out of it if you are home to open and close vents (the most efficient thing, without using electricity, would be to run it like a giant popcan heater, with a low vent and a high vent, that you only run when the temp in the structure is higher than the indoor house temperature. Which it will probably not *often* be during the core heating season but in the latter part of winter you might get some reasonable use out of it.

It wont' do you a whole lot of good for growing plants unless you spend insane amounts of money (insulation and heating) or just use it as a place to grow things in springtime away from the worst vicissitudes of late frosts and suchlike.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It's also not on a good side of the house to do that to. If it was east/south, it would be much better.

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your guidance.

I thought about making one on the ground, but I have very little funds at the moment. I have wood to cover the deck and the foam layer insulation to lay down underneath it. I have an idea for a drain, and ventilation but I am still thinking about those.

I know a 4 seasons greenhouse wouldn't be possible, but I want to get it prepared so I can start my seedlings in the spring-its only a few short months away! It is just extremely handy to have it right off the house, and it is on a deck we never use.

I will only be able to use some sort of poly for the sides, since money is tight. I can't really change the position of the deck, but I know that it does see the sun for a majority of the day, and there are no trees on the horizon blocking the light.

Would a home improvement store carry the poly? If I can get the right dimensions, I am considering doing a double layer. I am going to call around to some greenhouses and nurseries (if they are open this weeks) and see if they sell any.

I don't think i would be heating it at this point in time, unless I set up a solar heater with cans. (Which is a possibility, since it is on our list of science projects.)

Should I consider blocking off under the deck as well, possibly painting the panels black to absorb heat?

Thanks again!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
You will HAVE to block off under the deck and insulate it, to retain enough warmth to even think about starting any plants. Make sure you get a poly that is UV resistant unless you want to replace it every year.
Since your down on funds(isn't everybody!) try Craigslist for used or miss-measured windows and used or left over insulation. Start collecting the stuff now to enclose your deck. If it hadn't been for craigslist, I wouldn't have been able to build my greenhouse. The first set of glass, all the insulation for it AND the shed it is built onto, plus the jugs I used for thermal mass, ALL came from deals I found on Cragislist!!

393190191.jpg

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you! I will work on acquiring the necessary stuff to block the bottom (mostly I will need insulation, I have all the wood). I will keep an eye out for glass, but since I have young children, I am thinking of getting some poly and using that. I just don't want the glass panels falling off the deck in a wind storm.

I might end up blocking the bottom and using it as a cellar of sorts, and then use the top as planned.

Your greenhouse is so awesome!

Explain the jugs if you would, please.