Wethering bucks

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd like to hear opinions on wethering bucks. At what age do you wether? What method do you use?

I choose to band bucks at 8 weeks of age. The only reasons I have for this method are that I'm too cheap to buy a burdizzio and there's no way I'm cutting the testicles out. I do it at/around 8 weeks because I've read that's the "earliest" time you can do it unless you can separate the bucks from the does. I've read all there is to read about what's humane and what's not - sometimes all that stuff is just opinions.

I know some people wait longer and most of those people can separate the bucks from does so there's no chance of little doelings getting pregnant, but I'm curious as to methods/rhymes and reasons of you all here.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I band and do it at about 8 weeks. If I had a way to keep the bucks separate, then I would wait longer but would do it by 12 weeks.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will be banding one this year, maybe two and this is a first for me also. I made it through the disbudding with only two kids left to go. How young can a buckling be fertile?