What about the livestock?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
around here we say "get out there and free range because its FREE."

even if we couldnt get good hay we have a ton of forage for the goats. the hens, geese, ducks, and turkeys are basically self sufficient - the pigs are on pasture. in a pinch we'd do ok.

:)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm taking baby steps toward feed production. I may not get there as soon as others, but I'm steadily working on it. I am doing winter wheat this year, for the animals. Right now, everybody except the bunnies free range. The bunnies get room service from the grass clippings when we mow :lol: I mow a little patch out back daily for them.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind that for many of us, there are fewer critters around as we go into winter. Many are in the freezer or in glass jars in the cellar. :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have 160 acres I can take care of my own (to a certain point depending on how many head)
but if I had over what I could feed, I would eat down those first, preserve what I could, then barter off the rest to make me be able to handle the diaster problem best I could and then scavenge for forage in the area I lived to feed the rest of the animals I need to keep to survive.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great thread!

As much as I admire urban farmers (and I do), this is where it runs aground for me. So I'm not buying cereal in box for myself... but so what if I'm buying cereal in bag for my livestock? You really need space to forage and put up hay for the bigger critters.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
freemotion said:
There are lots of squirrels in an urban setting..... :D Food without cost.
Hehe, yup and usually lots of pigeons and crows. Rats are edible too.

We have been growing feed for the chickens for a few years now. We still don't grow enough to avoid buying feed, but we sure have made a dent in it. We have around 20 laying hens, 14 meat birds (at the moment) and one rooster. I feed them a total of 2 scoops of purchased feed a day. The scoops consist of cut down one gallon vinegar or milk jugs. I spend about an hour or two a day gathering greens for the chickens, 2 goats and 1 rabbit. In the process I am cutting back the roses, dead heading flowers, trimming the trees and bushes, pulling weeds and thinning vegies. It sometimes takes a long time to gather enough greens for the critters, because of where I am gathering it. If I pulling little weeds out the carrot patch, it can get time consuming. I also pay attention to whether or not what I am pulling is an edible for my animals.

We live on less than 1 acre in a small city in a mediteranean climate.

We grow broom corn and millet specifically for the chickens. But the goats and rabbit like it too. Last year I grew amaranth. But we got a late start and an early rain and it got moldy, before it dried enough for storage. So I am growing it again this year. The goats and the chickens like the greens. I grew wheat last year, but again since we got a late start, it never produced seed. But it did turn out some nice greens for the goats to eat. I grew buckwheat last year and am growing it again.

We also constantly keep animal feed in mind as we go through the garden.

I just planted two rows of assorted seeds (corn, sunflower, millet, oats and flaxj) next to the goat pasture. When it is grown a bit, I will move the fence and let them graze it. I am getting ready to start another couple of rows on a different side of the goat pasture. Once the main garden is done, we move the goat pasture to a spot in it and also let the chickens free range for the winter.

I often experiment with different seeds in small patches, to see how they grow and what they look like. If it is successfull, We plant a row the following year.

We are also friends with our neighbors. We help them and they help us. I bring greens to one neighbor for his chickens all winter long and he brings us greens for the goats all summer. The goats live along the property of another neighbor. They love having the goats and asked what they could feed them, so our goats get oranges and carrots and pine trimmings from them. It may not be much, but it provide them with healthy snacks. This neighbor also helps to keep and eye on the goats and they call us, when something is amiss. If we don't answer, they climb through the fence (with our blessings) and take care of the problem. !!!

I feel it is extremely important to at least be on good terms with your neighbors. If TSHTF, you need allies. If a group of you band together, your chances of making it are greatly improved. I always think of the store: "Stone soup".

I can't move to a location, where I would like to be, when TSHTF, so I have to make the best of where I live. We have had discussions about this with many of our neighbors and it seems we are on the same page with most of them.

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A seed company here sells a seed mixture of fodder beets. Mammoth, mangel, etc. I have no use for them (yet), but I'm pretty sure there are seed mixes out there.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I think I qualify as a suburban expert :D. I have 2 ponds that I use to grow rosy minnows, duck weed and string algae that I feed to the ducks. My inputs were buying 2dozen minnows at 12 cents a piece and getting a scoop of duckweed and algae from a local park pond. The rosy minnows live on algae and Mosquitos so I don't have to even feed them. The duckweed and algae live on the fish poo and sunshine. The fish reproduce like mad and I just scoop some out to feed to the ducks periodically. Same with the algae. As it starts to take over, I rake it up and feed it to the ducks. This stuff really does cut in to the amount of commercial feed they eat.

I also actively encourage dandelion growth on my property. Another great FREE feed. I am trying to grow amaranth and quinoa because I can dry and store those. The neighbor killed my quinoa when she sprayed the weeds on her driveway. My Love Lies Bleeding amaranth is doing well though.

Squash is another good one. It stores for so long and it can be eaten by the animals and you.

I will also keep experimenting to see what I can grow on my little lot. Another crop experiment for me this year is chufa. It is doing great!

2Buckeyes

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wow! I have so much to learn...

We are hoping to get a transfer to MI in the coming year or so (company headquarters). We currently live on a golf course & are restricted from just about everything by our HOA. My heart's desire has been for property & the ability to live off of our own land. I am very interested in beekeeping, as well as egg-laying hens to begin with.

I'm so thankful that Wannabefree shared this site with me! :D