What about the rooster?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had this weird thought early this morning as I lay awake, unable to go back to sleep, and the rooster crowed. When the world falls apart, and we are trying to lay low, and not let the rest of the world know that our cellars are full while theirs are not ... what about the rooster? It would seem the only choices would be to keep him - and advertise to all and sundry that there is at least one potential chicken dinner nearby. Or to get rid of him - and lose the chance of replenishing the flock for the future. It would seem that in either case we would lose the rooster, and, in the first case, much more, so maybe I have just answered my own question :lol: What are your ideas on this?
(Personally, I think our society is probably going out with a whimper rather than a bang, but even so the rooster may pose a problem at some point)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Honestly, if your only or main hope of survival rests on remaining secret and undiscovered, I don't think you're going to last long in that kind of world with *or* without a rooster. So, I really don't think it matters as much as you might think ;)

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I doubt people will be able to hear him over the screaming and gunfire...

KIDDING!!!

(I hope :hide )

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Honestly, if your only or main hope of survival rests on remaining secret and undiscovered, I don't think you're going to last long in that kind of world with *or* without a rooster. So, I really don't think it matters as much as you might think ;)

Pat
:lol: Who knows what I might be thinking when half awake, and unable to fall asleep?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If it's *that* bad out there, people would probably notice that you were well-fed and healthy, before replenishing the flock becomes a concern.

You wouldn't be able to "hide" it that long anyway, I'm thinking. If it were that bad.

Me, I'm planning to keep my roosters as things are now, and just not worry about it.

Maybe they can be de-voiced somehow? :hu

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
early this morning as I lay awake, unable to go back to sleep,
hum.. i lay awake and think about puppies and ducklings.... hum.....

;-)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Decrowing surgery is risky and, as I understand it, has a high failure rate even among survivors.

The thing is, you would need to be in a situation where you can *stand* to have people know what your situation is... which pretty much means, being allied iwth other people.

One person or family alone trying to just remain hidden never (well, hardly ever) works for long if at all. Historically and current-events-ly speaking.

So your real issue is not likely to be "can someone tell you have poultry", it's "will they be inclined to try to take it from you and if they do try then how likely is it they'll succeed" (and how can you arrange things so the answers to the two latter questions are No and Not Too Darn Very)

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You see...I have this underground coop system that has sky lights for lighting and ventilations systems for air, so no one could ever hear my chickens cackle or crow. This is the way to go, I assure you! ;)

It's all the rage right now and soon everyone will have one.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I think I'll just use him to teach the folks how to raise their own, and if they get snarky and try to take my roo...I'll feed them to the hogs :p