What about using venison for making dog food?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Also----do you have a local custom processor near you. Alot of times you can get boxes of bones and meat scraps.
Of course my hog processor was Tony's best friend growing up LOL so we got pick of the junk if we wanted it.

so who ya know helps also. I would get giant beef legs for my big dogs. Oh yea they were in heaven lol

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tortoise! I just saw your post, I was typing when you posted and missed it. What's a CWD area?

Obviously we aren't hunters. Going on the hit list won't happen - DH would just freak out. He's pretty city-fied. And butchering just ain't my thing, but I could do it if I had to.

I agree w/ everyone about $ for processing. The dogs sure don't care. The only reason is that if I was processing it, I'd be doing it by myself. DH will not help, and I hate to ask anyone. And there are clowns in this family that would put my experience on YouTube! :lol: Also, isn't it already frozen when you get it from the processor?

The gut pile isn't something I want to have here, even though it sure would serve a purpose. We have a creek at the back of the property with coyotes, bobcats, a mountain lion and various critters running it. I don't want to encourage them to come closer to the buildings.

It's too bad that DH isn't into hunting. That would solve a lot of problems. Right now, I just want to get meat and bones that will last quite a while for the hounds. Spending $$ upfront to save $$ later is okay. Almost free is even better. SIL still hasn't called, I might try the guy behind us.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions! And welcome, funny farm!

Edited to add: I can't type fast enough! The closest processor is about 45 miles from here. I might try giving them a call and see if I have any luck. There is also a butcher shop about 30 miles from here. I'll ask at the local market, but I bet I get nowhere with them.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
CWD is Chronic Wasting Disease. A prion disease similar to "mad cow disease". It is in deer herds in south east WI.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Fresh roadkill is cheap.

Check out the hunting and recipe sections for people food. I have a venison neck roast soaking in buttermilk right now. Tomorrow it goes in the slow cooker with some onion, salt, and pepper. I might cook it in apple or cranberry juice to see what happens.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My catahoulas keep the bobcats and stuff away. I had to learn to do the skining and gutting myself, my husband is on call 24 hrs-6 days a week! So a lot of stuff is on me here, never fails he is gone when something happens! If I want the meat I can do it/ don't care to but can. I grind most into hamburgure.

Also thanks for the welcomes!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The best breed of dog in the world.....I know it is my oppinion. They are a good all-purpose dog they use them down south for wild hog hunting, and out west for herding. Here we use them to hunt coons, and mine taught themselves to tree bobcats! They bond very strongly to their family, and will not hesatate to die for you. I had one go threw a window becouse a friend of my husbands stoped by and was tickiling my daughter and she was screaming- she went threw the window to "save" her! I love mine. NOTHING comes on my property!