What ads will this thread generate? organic

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Lucky's thread had a pampers ad? Not that is too funny!

ETA: I am seeing a Chevy ad at the bottom of this thread!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ok so I had to go check myself, I am seeing an Ad for a dog rescue in Lucky's thread...oh man!

And in my stove thread I see an add for appliances...hmmm

Wonder what each of our journals have ads for?

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
That Chevy ad kept showing up yesterday.

Today it's Johnson's Controls.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been in online advertising for years and am pretty familiar with how these systems work. Google will try to match an ad based on content but at the end of the day will look at click through rates (CTR) and the eCPM (effective cost per thousand impressions) for each ad shown.

Sooo... There may be cases where the Google algorithms say, "Hey, we don't have anything that matches this content, so just show our network wide best performing (paying) ad."

There are about 200 other things that go into it, but yes, it sure is fun to see what comes up!

For example, on all the BYC Family forums we have the "Page Creator Tool". Well, I originally called it the personal page creator. Next thing we knew, all the ads were for dating and personals! :ep (that's why we call it the "BYC Page Creator". ;)

Maybe we can trick it?

CATS MICE MICE TRAPS

;)

dacjohns

Reaction score
Right now I got a Google adsense ad.

But maybe if I talk about my cats I will get a cat ad.

A opossum. Is it a opossum or an opossum. When I pronounce the word the first o is silent therefore a 'possum.

Back to the story. A 'possum has found our cats' food dishes and the last two nights has visited the cat dishes. Time to get the .22 ready. I know it is just looking for a free meal but I really don't feel like feeding a 'possum cat food. It probably already knows where the chicken coop is and I don't want it breaking in and wreaking havoc there.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My own thread has an ad for quail farms on it. I never noticed that there were different ads on different threads that could be linked to the subject matter. More than a little spooky.

dacjohns

Reaction score
Ad with computer mouse in it.

My male cat is such a big baby. He'll sit by the front and meow to get in or get some cat food. My female cat is much more mellow but I do need to get her spayed.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
There is the same type of ad generation on another site that I frequent. When certain keywords are typed in the postings it automatically generates an ad that corrisponds.
Several of the ladies support Operation Quiet Comfort for the troops and an ad selling military T-shirts always pops up when ever they talk about it. .

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My favorite ad of all was on a BYC thread about eggs freezing and breaking in the nest boxes before people had a chance to go collect them. The ad at the bottom of the page was for a "Frozen Egg Donor Bank" you know, for womens eggs to be frozen for later use to make a baby! I wonder if I can get that to pop up here...

So I went out to collect eggs the other day and it was really cold out, and when I opened up the back of the coop I said "Oh baby, the eggs are frozen!"
:fl

Edited to add: Darn, didn't work!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I see no ads, ever. My popup/spyware blocker always shuts them down. Now I am going to have to turn my blocker off so I can see the ads and have some fun. It took me forever to figure out what you all were talking about. Finally at work yesterday I noticed the ads at the bottom of the page.

Latest posts