What are you all doing to prepare for winter?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bay & FEM -- you guys could "probably" grow tomatoes in a hoop shelter most winters......??

For certain things like carrots, beets, turnips, etc. Almost yr round for you. Lucky you. :cool:

I have some volunteer tomato plants from seeds the pigs & chickens buried when eating, also 2 melon plants. Of course, they won't make it thru winter BUT, if I potted the tomatoes and covered them nights, etc., they "might" produce a couple. We never know for sure. Some winters frigid, snow, etc. & others, well 75 on Christmas day is not norm but has happened. :idunno

For some reason, maybe the horrid heat and no garden, I am just feeling as if this was Spring coming on & I want to plant. I do want to throw a few collards, kale, cabbage out. That will be about it and hope that weather stays fairly nice until they develop. Most other things need more time to mature.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had what I dubbed my "redneck greenhouse" at our old house, made from PVC, wrapped in plastic with an extension cord ran out to it. I had a small electric heater in it for cold nights. We had tomatoes all year! I have a greenhouse frame here, but it is on a long to-do list!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did something today to prepare for winter. I sowed rye grass seed for winter pasture. I have already dome one pasture, sowed 100 pounds in it. I put 400 pounds on the pipeline easement. We started on a temporary pen for the sheep so I can get them out of their regular pasture so I can plant rye in it too.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well... I was just going to start a thread then I remembered this one from last year!

What is everyone doing to get ready for winter?

Today we cleaned out coops, replaced nest boxes and started working on a winter turkey coop. LOTS to do before winter here!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Right now, my biggest worry is getting enough fuel for the fire. Our local fuel company I saw is selling peat in bulk at a good price and I'm planning to get some if I can. Weather depending I also want to get at least some winter vegetables in the ground soon.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Canning, wood gathering, leaf gathering, cleaning out nest boxes, dog boxes, changing out summer tarps for winter tarps, general cleaning and refurbishing of all storage spaces to ready them for storing equipment for the winter months, cleaning out the garden, hauling wood chips back to the garden, detailing the car, and a hundred other little things too many to mention.