What are you all doing to prepare for winter?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Yep, I said the "W-word" ;) It's coming, whether we like it or not! I am slowly building up a supply of firewood for the stove and fireplace to warm the house. What are you all doing to prepare for the cold months?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We are doing the same, Sumi. :thumbsup

Same as we do every year.... getting wood, canning food, calking, painting and other general maintenance of the buildings and grounds, bedding down the garden with deeper wood chips, changing out bedding in the dog house, adding more in the chicken coop, changing out nesting materials, laying in dry goods, drawing up fresh water into jugs(winter storms take out our power here very frequently), gearing up for hunting season and the deer harvest and canning it up, gathering in chicken and dog food, foraging for apples to can and use for livestock, deer and pet feed, raking and storing leaves for winter bedding needs and also to put on the garden, culling of the flock and canning them up, fall cleaning and clearing out of storage areas and the home.

The usual.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
So far, stocking up on firewood and hay.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Canning, drying and freezing the summer's bounty. I have some eggs dehydrating right now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We are doing the same, Sumi. :thumbsup

Same as we do every year.... getting wood, canning food, calking, painting and other general maintenance of the buildings and grounds, bedding down the garden with deeper wood chips, changing out bedding in the dog house, adding more in the chicken coop, changing out nesting materials, laying in dry goods, drawing up fresh water into jugs(winter storms take out our power here very frequently), gearing up for hunting season and the deer harvest and canning it up, gathering in chicken and dog food, foraging for apples to can and use for livestock, deer and pet feed, raking and storing leaves for winter bedding needs and also to put on the garden, culling of the flock and canning them up, fall cleaning and clearing out of storage areas and the home.

The usual.
I got tired just reading all that! lol My list is short as I have only the house and as from 2 days ago 2 hens :)weee) to think about. Next year though...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It does seem like a lot when one lists it out like that, but we are so used to the seasonal chores around here that it just becomes a way of life rather than any kind of special prep.

A lot of folks think we must be very bored out here in the boonies without TV and such, but there are so many things to do and so many challenges that come our way that no two days are alike and there's always something to occupy our time during most of the year. Winter is our slowest time but if we were doing things right back here in the woods we'd be out there working every day then too....a person could really do a lot of creative things in the winter months if they had the talent and a need for such things(tanning hides, working with wood, developing/pruning the woodlots, etc.).

Mostly we reserve winter time for tweaking the inside of the home, daily chores of getting in wood, feeding the animals and reading. Lots of reading by the fire. Bliss!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to lots of sewing by the fire this winter. I have a quilt on the go, another planned for one day and one for a friend that I just started on :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a hoop coop finished for the chickens. When we moved, I had nothing for them. They spent the night in a cramped little cage. A neighbor and I used 2 horse panels, chicken wire and a rabbit cage for a temporary coop for them. They like their new place better. A permanent coop is in the plans, then the hoop coop will be used as a grow out coop.

Garden was a total failure. Nothing to put up. (Shrug) freezer is full anyway ......

We moved in February. It rained, snowed and ice stormed. Poor horses huddled under cedar trees. I had nothing but a fence. Saturday 2 neighbors and I cleared up dead trees, brush and cut 2 dead trees, to clear a place for a barn. It's a mess. We got a small spot cleaned up, long ways to go.

DH watched. He had open heart, 3 bypasses 3 weeks ago. Total surprise to us. He needs knee and shoulder replacement and had to get a check up first. We praise God for our blessing. He had 95% blockage. He started 12 weeks of rehab, 3 times a week, today. Getting him back in tip top shape is priority #1.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - I've been there and know what you're facing. Keep on him to do that rehab - he'll be better for it in the long run. My DH had his triple on March 3 of this year. He had a couple smaller vessels at 100% - thankfully they weren't major ones. He did have 95% and above on some of his big ones, and a previous stent, so he and your DH were running on borrowed time. So glad they're both still here!

You hang in there gal! Wish we were closer - I'd come help you.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Haha, he stood in the window, watching me go by on the tractor, looking like a little boy that can't go out and play. LOL

We are so blessed that he didn't have a heart attack. He prayed for a long healthy life so he can watch our grandbabies grow up. He got God's answer.

Latest posts