What are you all doing to prepare for winter?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Not all apples are susceptible to cedar apple rust disease. I don't know which are and aren't, but I know there are nurseries that offer ones that aren't.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought plants today. Cabbage, broccoli, kale and a couple of purple petunias. Going to try a small fall/winter garden. The spring /summer garden was such a miserable failure. I bush hogged the so called garden Sunday afternoon. The weeds were five feet high.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Foraged for apples this weekend up in the mountains, just old trees growing out in the woods....hard work out in the brush, so lacerations were sustained, but we got a few to start with. Will glean apples from my sister's two trees this coming week as well. Dusting off the copper kettle this week and will have an old fashioned "working" to get apples canned and firewood in the sheds.

LL
Those are beautiful apples.

chicken girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Made a duck pen in corner of barn to bring them in when it gets cold. I used two wire dog kennels. Got my garden ready for Fall veggies, kinda late but here in Texas it's warm till January. And got my knitting stash out. :)

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
envious of your apples beekissed. when i lived in west Virginia i discovered an old type apple called York imperial. still my favorite apple in the world but it doesn't grow down here. I'm planning on going up to wva to visit next month and I'm going to try to find some while I'm up there.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
beekissed and goatgirl -- see the WV life. I was born in Parkersburg, where my dad's family lived. Mom was from Elizabeth (Wirt County). Grandparents lived & died there.
Dad's family had electric & piped in running water from the cistern but, outhouse. Mom's had a bucket & rope, wood cook stove, outhouse in the "holler", no electric until VERY late in life, then some ceiling lights. I loved to go visit! I loved what I thought was farming and now see that it was actually self-sufficient homesteading by necessity. No matter, that's my roots and I love it. Mom used to think it was just hard work but, now with dementia/altzheimers, she thinks it was abuse, LOL. Hey, 7 kids to feed and I can REALLY appreciate the work that was needed to have groceries from the garden stocked into that cellar in the hillside! In her childhood, it was the depression. It's amazing they all lived thru it.

Where are you guys in WV -- goatgirl I know you don't live there but, visit? I still have some family there but, rarely see them.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wish my mother had talked more about her life in France, before the war. From what I can tell, it hadn't changed all that much from the Middle Ages.
Lol, I do remember one story she told us, about her father going into the river to "tickle" the fish... he didn't want to get his own underwear wet, so he put on a pair of her mother's underwear instead. He didn't realize until it was too late that the water made the underwear completely transparent; my 8 year old mom got quite an education that day!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Mini Horses i lived in wv for about 17 years and loved it there. would probably have stayed but couldn't deal with seeing my x with his new girlfriend. small town and there was no way not to. so i tucked tail and headed back to Arklahoma. i was in the Buckhannon/Weston area and that is where i plan to go back and visit at the end of October if all goes as planned. i can't wait, i haven't been back for several, several years and am anxious to see old friends and even the x with his now 4th wife. i love karma

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
beekissed and goatgirl -- see the WV life. I was born in Parkersburg, where my dad's family lived. Mom was from Elizabeth (Wirt County). Grandparents lived & died there.
Dad's family had electric & piped in running water from the cistern but, outhouse. Mom's had a bucket & rope, wood cook stove, outhouse in the "holler", no electric until VERY late in life, then some ceiling lights. I loved to go visit! I loved what I thought was farming and now see that it was actually self-sufficient homesteading by necessity. No matter, that's my roots and I love it. Mom used to think it was just hard work but, now with dementia/altzheimers, she thinks it was abuse, LOL. Hey, 7 kids to feed and I can REALLY appreciate the work that was needed to have groceries from the garden stocked into that cellar in the hillside! In her childhood, it was the depression. It's amazing they all lived thru it.

Where are you guys in WV -- goatgirl I know you don't live there but, visit? I still have some family there but, rarely see them.

Sooooooo uncanny and quite the small world! I was born in Parkersburg, still live 20 mi. away from there, attended Wirt Co. schools, etc. Also have lived several times in Tucker Co. and, more recently, lived for 6 yrs in Pendleton Co.

We lived off grid for many years homesteading(still residing on part of that place and still have a log cabin), log cabins, no utilities, walked a mile out to the bus, family of 9 kids, and all that jazz. Small world, huh? :D

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tis, tis indeed. we lived in parkersberg when we first moved to wv and i had in-laws that lived in and around parkersburg