What are you all doing to prepare for winter?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My winter prep:
FINALLY going to break down and get myself a pair of Mucks rubber boots. Now to go shopping........ at least it will be a feed store, so it won't be too bad. (I hate shopping)

me too, i'm one of those people who has a list and rarely wanders around looking at other things, i'm in and out and as quickly as possible...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
used up the last bucket of ashes yesterday and cleared out parts of two more gardens so am almost done with the largest garden and done well enough with the smaller one. i had to spend some time clipping bean vines off the fence, which sucked with the clippers not being all that good. so when i go to the store tomorrow i'm buying some new ones. these aren't that expensive and having a better pair on-hand is worth it.

i figure i have about seven more holes to dig to bury stuff in four gardens with most of it now being tomato plants. those gardens go much more quickly because i'm not doing any reconditioning of the subsoil in those gardens. just have to dig a deep enough hole and bury and clean up any scraggly weeds that we haven't caught yet. a quick scrape and that is done.

the weather hasn't been very cooperative the past few weeks, but this week later on the forecast says it will be clear so i should be able to have everything pretty much done by the end of this week. IF the forecast is actually right... we'll see... :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
nah, layers are fine for winter clothes. :)
I had to read that twice because I didn't understand why you wanted her to use chickens (layers) for winter clothes lol. I'm thinking... ummmm I guess you could skin the chicken and stitch them together and/or use the feathers for a boa? I know... my brain goes to weird places :lol:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had to read that twice because I didn't understand why you wanted her to use chickens (layers) for winter clothes lol. I'm thinking... ummmm I guess you could skin the chicken and stitch them together and/or use the feathers for a boa? I know... my brain goes to weird places :lol:

you started on BYC? :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i think i should be able to get something done today for a change, but i don't know exactly what yet. :) i have a large tomato garden that will need some holes dug deep enough to bury all the tomato plants and whatever weeds need to be scraped. i may get interrupted so it may not all get done today. we'll see what happens... :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have really warm, seldom worn winter boots but, broke down and bought some Sperry Rand's for everyday...rubber bottoms work in this wet grass. Did order on line. Not a big online shopper.

Winter clothes all washed and ready. Too many to wear out. Nothing new for me besides those boots. Lucky me. :oops:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i love my winter Sorells, we both share mine when we have to shovel since Mom always buys boots that don't end up fitting her and within a while she ends up getting rid of them. mine are several sizes too large so they fit loose and then i wear big socks and my feet don't get pinched and cold from reduced blood circulation. the felt liners are pretty old but as of yet i've not needed to replace them. i haven't even had to wash them out. they don't smell and they don't get used that often any more but i have many many miles on them from walking in the snows and blizzards up north when i was living there.

there was always something about walking in the snows and storms at night for me after spending all day and most of time i ever had sitting in front of computer screens. it was a good way to get away. some nights were crystal clear and cold with no breeze at all, you could look up and see the moon and the snow would come drifting down just coming right out of the air it was so cold. you could even hear the snow flakes hitting the ground if you held your breath and listened...

i don't walk at night in the storms around here in the winter, either i'd get run over by the people who think they know where the road is at or i'd get body checked by deer.

Latest posts