What are you all doing to prepare for winter?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
local store has whole beef tenderloins for sale for 4.99 per pound. Might pick up a couple.
Chicken breast for 1.99 a pound also. Need to get some a can up some chicken stew base.
I am thinking of picking up a bunch of potatoes and can some potato soup.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had so many jalapenos that we made poppers, half baked them, then vacuum sealed them for the freezer. @FarmerJamie if you premake stuffed peppers and cook them, then vacuum seal, it's a real easy meal for those days y'all don't want to cook.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With nights dipping down in the mid 30’s I was afraid of frost. So yesterday I picked all the Giant Pink Banana Squash. What a haul! I need to weigh the big ones. It took 2 wagon loads to get them to the house. Then I put 2 of the big ones in a laundry basket to carry them in the house. I couldn’t carry 3 at a time. Several of the big ones are maturing and so are some of the medium sized ones. The little ones will serve as Sheep treats. Now, what to do with all this?? LOL

The dark colored ones in the lower left corner are the first ones I harvested a couple months ago.

I have 3 vines. They have overtaken 1/3 of the garden, gone over the fence and up a tree. I planted these because it looked like a good way to produce a lot of food. I'll be trying different ways of preparing them besides pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread. LOL

F24F26C6-189D-4581-9F37-F5E8E53096BD.jpeg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

creamy keto pumpkin & sausage chowder
Author:
Mellissa Sevigny
Yield: 8 servings​
INGREDIENTS

1 pound bulk pork sausage
4 cups chicken broth
1 1/4 cup solid pack pumpkin puree (or make your own!)
3 cups water
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
3 cups cauliflower rice
1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
8 ounces mascarpone cheese

INSTRUCTIONS

1 Brown the sausage in a large saucepan, stirring to break it up into small pieces.
2 Add the chicken broth, pumpkin puree, water, sherry, salt, nutmeg, pepper, garlic, onion, and cauliflower. Simmer 20 minutes.
3 Add the mascarpone cheese and sage. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, for five minutes or until the cheese has melted into the broth and is creamy and smooth. Do not boil.
4 Serve hot.
5 Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Its Fill the Freezer season now. 😁 I have plans to can meat. I want an electric pressure canner, but Presto is out of stock until December or January. Its not feasible for me to pressure can large batches, with long processing times, outdoors, in winter. My pressure canner cannot be used on my stove. An electric pressure canner can't do large batches, but I can do it by myself, anytime. I frequently want to can a small batch of soups, broth, or vegetables but cannot with my large pressure canner and propane burner.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

creamy keto pumpkin & sausage chowder
Author:
Mellissa Sevigny
Yield: 8 servings​
INGREDIENTS

1 pound bulk pork sausage
4 cups chicken broth
1 1/4 cup solid pack pumpkin puree (or make your own!)
3 cups water
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
3 cups cauliflower rice
1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
8 ounces mascarpone cheese

INSTRUCTIONS

1 Brown the sausage in a large saucepan, stirring to break it up into small pieces.
2 Add the chicken broth, pumpkin puree, water, sherry, salt, nutmeg, pepper, garlic, onion, and cauliflower. Simmer 20 minutes.
3 Add the mascarpone cheese and sage. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, for five minutes or until the cheese has melted into the broth and is creamy and smooth. Do not boil.
4 Serve hot.
5 Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

Thanks for the recipe! I’ll have to try this!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Try saving a couple to see how they hold. My butternuts were huge...I had 3 vines that had started in the old hog pen that year. Transplanted, unsure if melon or squash. They went everywhere and I got over 125# from them. Kept very well over7 months. I'm thinking your squash are sweeter. But I often baked with butter & brown sugar. Sometimes with butter & sage for a savory. I like the keeping quality with no processing.