What are you DEHYDRATING today?

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Damummis said:
Apples, lots of apples...
I'm going to be doing apples until Christma. Everyone loves apples. I have so many, that if the dehyrdrator is off, something is wrong and I need to get my heinie in gear.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is gonna sound dumb but I dehydrated 5 lbs if taters as hash browns and proudly showed my husband. So he asked how do you make them into hash browns. I said " I don't know" He said, so why do it. Somebody help me out here.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
GardenWeasel said:
This is gonna sound dumb but I dehydrated 5 lbs if taters as hash browns and proudly showed my husband. So he asked how do you make them into hash browns. I said " I don't know" He said, so why do it. Somebody help me out here.
I assume they're pre-cooked, shredded, then dried...?

I just pour some very hot water over a handful in a bowl, let them soak for a minute or so (it doesn't take long), pour off any standing water, then dump them in a hot pan with oil & onions & cook for 5 minutes or so. Nom nom nom!!! Had some this morning. :drool

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have some sliced oranges and apples in the dehydrator at the moment. The larger middle slices are with peel and all, and will be used on a Christmas wreath, or strung as a garland - very decorative, cut in rounds. The end pieces of the oranges got eaten, and the end pieces of the apples got peeled and cored, and dehydrated to be stored for future (eating) use.
I also decided that kefir is not for me; I have been trying for 3 or 4 years, and I just cannot develop a taste for the stuff. I know it is incredibly healthy and good for me, and in the summer I can get by with it in smoothies ... but for the rest of the time ... no, I really don't like it. So I rinsed off the kefir grains, and popped them on the dehydrator sheet as well; you never know, someday I might change my mind. Or maybe it is because the grains are not easily found, and I don't like to burn bridges. Anyway, they will find their way into a jar after drying, and into the freezer. Maybe I can develop a habit of keeping some going in the summer for smoothies, and not bothering with it during the colder months.
I was also doing some refrigerator clean out. A bunch of kale will not have a chance to be used before it is over the hill, so it is now in the dehydrator as well. At the very least, I can always pulverize the result, and add it to other things. But I'll also try re-hydrating with a little water, and then cooking. we'll see.
Oh, and I had some lemons that needed to be used - the peels are dehydrating, and the juice is in the freezer.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm new to dehydrating and am attempting baby carrots. I got two 5lb bags for free from work today and as we already have a bag in the fridge knew they'd spoil before we could eat them so into the dehydrator they go!!

Yeah for free food!!! :ya

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was just reading back a few pages...
and there were discussions on dehydrating celery down to nothing....
Tiny tip...
If you blanch...first...dosent shrivel up nearly as much....

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just bought from CL) a LEM food dehydrator countertop model with 10 trays. All my carrots, celry and some onions fell through the holes. I need a more solid tray... what can I use? Can I buy one? will freezer paper work? how about a pastry mat maybe saran wrap or other brand of plastic wrap. So many questions, so little time...

:pop Thank you for responding! I need help and all the help I can get :hu

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Freezer paper, wax paper ... sure, give it a try. I would poke holes in it, just to give a bit more airflow. I am not familiar with that type of dehydrator. If you haven't done so already, you might want to google it, and perhaps you will find special mats that are made to fit. Or, if it is a round machine, maybe the American Harvest (I think these are called Nesco or Ronco these days) trays will fit, or can be cut to fit. They are plastic, and come (or came, back when I bought them) in both solid (for fruit leathers etc.) or mesh, which sounds like what you are looking for.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I got some mats with tiny holes from Hobby Lobby type store. I've also used (new) pantyhose legs-xxx large but cheap.