What are you doing with leftover turkey?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A bunch of us have some leftover turkey in the frig right now. What are you going to do with it?

We used to joke about my mother and the turkey carcass, that it kept her busy for three days.

Now I understand. I made stock this morning - for soups, pot pies, thicken for gravy over dressing and mashed potatoes. Now the picked bones are back in the pot for bone broth and dog chow.

I'm still eyeing the sliced and chunks of turkey in the frig. Thought about turkey tetrazini (sp?) to freeze. If someone eats just ONE sandwich with it, I'll be surprised.

So what are you doing with yours?

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Used the turkey carcass and made broth which is now in the freezer. Freezing the leftover turkey so i can use in future meals. Did not even think about cooking the bones again for bone broth.....Darn......darn....darn, oh well to late now. When Ii made my cranberry sauce I went ahead canned what I knew would not be eaten since my family only eats it one time ande very little of it to boot.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, I have a can of jellied cranberry sauce that's now had an anniversary on the shelf. A friend of mine said she saw a recipe for meatballs and gravy in the crockpot that uses cranberry sauce...and maybe brown gravy? She's not home now to scrounge up the recipe for me.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That sounds really good. I wonder if it is like sweet n sour meatballs?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh YUM truly. sometimes I think the meals after with a turkey are more delish than the first meal :p

Turkey noodle soup. I love this. It is just chicken noodle soup obviously with turkey! The stock is just wonderful and I fill it up with the big egg noodles.

I too came home from Moms with tons of turkey slices. Tony has a big leg in the fridge. That will be eaten like a king later for him :lol:

BUT I ate a turkey sandwich today. Nothing better than plain old white bread, tons of mayo and turkey. I love it plain. And it was delish!
I thought I could not go near it but it whispered my name.

Moms call it turkey hash. Just a one dish wonder. Layer of dressing, sliced turkey and tons of gravy. That will be in a few days.

Also the leftover potatoes will become fried potatoe cakes. Bit of onion and a delish crispy fried crunch and mushy inside and potatoe cakes are one of my favorite things to eat.

I don't know alot of turkey recipes. I think because we rarely make turkey, the leftovers are usually a simple fix. I have no idea how to make turkey tetrazinni but I am going to look it up out of curiousity.

I do want to see if others post real recipes using turkey.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No turkey leftovers at the moment, but dishes we like to make when we do have leftovers include:

King Ranch Turkey Casserole

3 cups cooked cubed turkey or chicken
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp chili powder
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup salsa

mix together in a bowl

cut 12 6" corn tortillas into 2 inch pieces, divide, and arrange half in a 9x13" pan setting the other half aside

grate 1 cup cheddar or monterey jack cheese, divide and set aside

sprinkle tortilla pieces with half the cheese, top with half the turkey mixture

repeat layers (tortillas, cheese, turkey mixure)

sprinkle with a little bit more grated cheese, bake 350F for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly

garnish with green onion, serve with additional salsa and sour cream
Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo

Boil 6 oz fettuccine noodles, adding 1 cup fresh or frozen broccoli during the last 5 minutes of cooking time, drain

While noodles/broccoli are cooking make Alfredo Sauce by making a roux of butter and flour, then gently stirring in 3/4 cup milk or half & half, add 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese and heat through till cheese is melted.

Add 1 cup cubed cooked turkey or chicken, and toss sauce with pasta and broccoli, salt and lots of freshly ground pepper to taste.

Serve topped with more grated Parmesan.
Turkey Enchiladas

2 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 350ml jar salsa
1 cup sweet corn (frozen or canned/drained)
8 dinner plate sized flour tortillas

Mix all ingredients together except for tortillas, scoop onto tortillas and roll up and place in 9x13" pan

Sprinkle with grated cheddar and bake 40 minutes or until hot

Serve with additional salsa and sour cream

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
canning stock today. My mom thought I was weird that I wanted to take home the carcass...and I told her to save the neck.

we didn't have much meat left over. I would have loved to have made turkey soup to can, but didn't have enough.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Mom will be grinding it up for turkey salad to eat for lunch next week............then we may make stock out of the carcass......I dont know.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I won't have leftover turkey until tomorrow. I will eat turkey sandwiches - everyday for at least a week and possibly 2 times a day. Yep - I love me some turkey sammiches. What ever is left will be used for turkey noodle soup with broth from the other left over turkey, bones, junk pieces, etc. Soup that is not eaten immediately will be frozen for future use. After feeding 2 young men in their very early 20's, leftovers don't usually amount to much.