What are you eating from the garden?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yesterday i had to have something fresh from the garden, after this winter and all.

this being early spring one thing i really like to have is some fresh green garlic. it is dug up while the plant is still green and looks pretty much like a green onion, but if you chop it up and eat it fresh it tastes like garlic and if you cook it the flavor will get less like garlic and more like any green onion. i put some in with some ham and cheese in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the cheese and heat it through. turned out exactly like what i wanted. a reminder of things to come.

this is a good use of any extra garlic you might have in the fall, just plant it deeper than you would normally plant the cloves and since you are going to eat it the next spring you can plant it closer together too. :)

my favorite early spring food. and it always puzzles me that more people don't grow it because to me it is easier than any of the onions i've grown and it survives our winters here without issue and the animals leave it alone so it can be grown anywhere including outside the fences.

this isn't what i picked yesterday, but an image from a previous year when i had more larger cloves planted. if you plant it deeper you get more blanched/white stem to use. :)

p5030001_Green_Garlic.jpg

Last edited:

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yesterday i had to have something fresh from the garden, after this winter and all.

this being early spring one thing i really like to have is some fresh green garlic. it is dug up while the plant is still green and looks pretty much like a green onion, but if you chop it up and eat it fresh it tastes like garlic and if you cook it the flavor will get less like garlic and more like any green onion. i put some in with some ham and cheese in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the cheese and heat it through. turned out exactly like what i wanted. a reminder of things to come.

this is a good use of any extra garlic you might have in the fall, just plant it deeper than you would normally plant the cloves and since you are going to eat it the next spring you can plant it closer together too. :)

my favorite early spring food. and it always puzzles me that more people don't grow it because to me it is easier than any of the onions i've grown and it survives our winters here without issue and the animals leave it alone so it can be grown anywhere including outside the fences.

this isn't what i picked yesterday, but an image from a previous year when i had more larger cloves planted. if you plant it deeper you get more blanched/white stem to use. :)

p5030001_Green_Garlic.jpg
back in the province, we have a lot of river spinach, and cassava, we don't have any problems with other plants as well, because we have a lot of knowledgeable farmers around.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eggs. Yeah, chickens were patrolling the garden area -- does that count?? Oh, a slug of elderberry juice I canned in summer AND homemade blackberry jam on my English muffin -- from wild blackberries along fence lines this past summer.

That's it for me.....garden tilled, new land, nothing there. :idunno

mischief

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm chomping my way through the last of the apples. The Feijoas have produced a bumper crop and I now have a couple of chutney recipes as well as a non alcoholic fizz drink recipe to try out.
First lot of the Fuyu Persimmons got cut off the tree today- my dog was very interested til he smelt that they were Not ripe yet.
First 3 fruit off my baby Meyer lemon- they are going in one of the chutneys.

Beetroot and Swiss Chard...I've been eyeballing the baby Red Cardinal Chard but its just not ready yet- I do prefer that one.

The Lemon Verbena is still putting out young leaves which is odd but these get dried to go in herbal teas.
I wait til the plant is starting to die back before taking the older leaves off. These get popped in a pot of water and put ontop of the woodburner and act as a air freshener or in a bag to scent my bath. Not too long to go before I can start harvesting these.

Pineapple Sage flowers are getting plucked off and dried for herbal teas too. For some reason the Bumble bees havent visited them for their nectar, which means nothing else is getting any either, including my bees. They try, but its not a happening thing.

Latest posts