What are you fermenting today?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My neighbour gave me the go ahead to harvest some grape leaves from her vine that grows over our communal fence. I have them soaking in some brine with added whey at the moment, and soon they will go into a couple of jars to ferment for a few days - a la "Nourishing Traditions". What are you fermenting today?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
rd200 said:
thats my trick for everything.... put it in a smoothie with honey and maple syrup and they never know the difference!!!
We had friends staying with us and she showed us the wonder of smoothies... One day the smoothie was REALLY GOOD! I came home from work and I asked her what she used this time. She laughed and said wellll..... apparently the smoothie didn't taste so great, so she "saved" it with Maple Syrup! Maple Syrup makes everything better!! :lol:

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I posted in my journal but I'll add it here.

I started my first batch of fermented crock Dill pickles last weekend. I followed a recipe for the brine. For pickling spice, I put in juniper berries, rose hips, Dill, mustard seed, and smoked ancho pepper flakes.

I'm so excited to see how they turn out. The recipe for the brine said 2-6 weeks. That's kind of a wide spread. They're at a fairly constant 75°. I guess I'll just have to keep bothering them to taste test!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey...you're not getting off that easy...what exactly are you doing??? I have grapevines that I planted this year...what do the fermented leaves make? Please share! :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Stuffed grape leaves eventually - check any Greek, Turkish, Lebanese cookbook - actually any Middle Eastern cookbook. They have different names but are all basically the same thing. You can buy brined grape leaves, and I have several recipes for making them from scratch, but the NT recipe is the only one I have found for fermenting them. They should hold in their jars for quite awhile, and I can make the little appetizers as I want - rice, herbs, pine nuts, lemon juice sounds good; ground lamb sounds nice too. I have about 3 dozen leaves soaking right now, so that should give me enough to experiment. And there are new leaves growing ;).
I have also read about wrapping fish in grape leaves for the grill - lends a subtle flavor apparently.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have oats soaking in whey, but those will be planted.

I do always have barley and sunflower seeds fermenting in a corner by the back door for my dairy goat's meals. Started that when my old horse wouldn't hold onto her calories anymore, and when she got that little fermented meal twice a day, she gained lots of weight. So I figure my little Mya would benefit, too, and she does so much better on the fermented grains. (No, it won't make you fat....in both those cases, it healed digestive problems!)

I plan to make bean paste next, so I have the beans soaking in whey. As soon as the tomatoes come in, I will make a fermented salsa, so I want the bean paste to serve with them.

I made some fermented pie dough, that is now cooked and cooling on the stove....a quiche and a strawberry/rhubarb tart.

I have bread dough fermenting in the fridge.

In the fridge, I have some beet kvass :sick and some gingerale and the last of the sauerkraut from last fall. Oh, and last week's grape leaves. DH is grinding up a big pork loin as I type, to make some sausage. Then I am gonna stuff those grape leaves with my own Italian concoction. Not just for dolmas! I hope....

I have yogurt, and a batch of mozzarella is draining right now. Both forms of fermented foods.

Wow, for those of you who are new to the whole idea of fermenting.....fear not. I didn't mean for this to sound like so much bragging. I decided not to edit it, because I hope it encourages someone out there.

After typing this, I am amazed at my progress, because it was really not very long ago that I made the determination to get fermented foods into my daily regimen and make preparing them a habit. I didn't realize, until just now, that I was doing so much. I'm not done yet, though! Next: cucumber pickles, and garlic for cooking and to break my Costco garlic habit!