What are you Freezing Today?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I agree with you, FarmerDenise :) I shred my zucchini raw but don't like it anyway. I give up. I will just enjoy loads of zucchini bread in summer and fall and then wait until next year.

I don't blanch any of the things Free mentions not blanching, either.

I enjoy the blanched/frozen asparagus and beans in soup, but not just reheated. I love the frozen tomatoes for soups and chilis.

Today, I juiced out two 5-quart pails of blackberries. After all that hard work, I had to get that done right away before they molded. They are so HOT out in the woods that even when refrigerated the center of the pail can go bad. I ended up with 3 1/2 quarts of juice, so I am very happy with this amount for making jelly!

I forgot to mention that I froze all the juice. An older friend of mine does this with elderberry juice, adding to her container in the freezer for years. She recently gave me a jar of jelly from juice about 3 years old and it was delicious! Mine won't wait that long, just long enough to get past sweetcorn season and blackberry picking :)

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I froze corn today! 38 quart freezer bags stuffed full!

me&thegals

Reaction score
Approximately 35 quarts of sweet corn plus 2 gallon bags. Then, I juiced out two 5-quart pails of blackberries and got 18 cups of juice-pulp to be made into jelly and syrup. Yum!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
green beans, a few quarts
tomatoes until I have enough for a real project

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I pureed the last of my yellow heirloom tomatoes. Poured 4 cup per gallon zip lock, Just enough for a tom jam recipe. Laid flat on cookie sheet and froze.
:)

me&thegals

Reaction score
tankshill--have you posted this jam recipe elsewhere? It sounds interesting!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Uhh It was around here somewhere. Just yellow tom, brown and white sugar and a lemon sliced whole. I will look around for it. I actually never had a written recipe my mom gave it to me over the phone. I can give her a jingle today for the exacts. It has such and interesting smell while it cooks. Kinda like roasting squash and lemon meringue pie all rolled together. Good flavor too!!

I call my mom today. :)

me&thegals

Reaction score
Oooh--it sounds great! I planted a huge tomato variety this year, too. I can picture this on freshly baked biscuits with grilled chicken and fresh green beans.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Today I froze a gallon of maple syrup in pint jars. I got a sweet deal on it from some people who tap their trees nearby.