What are you planting this year?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't know where you'd get sunflower transplants. you could get packages and start your own though. That's what i'll be doing this year :) At least that way i won't have a dozen skips in the row ;)

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have used up all of my grow lights that I ordered and I want my sunflowers up soon as I plant--April 15--so is there lighting I can buy locally or a lighting trick I can use for a few flats to get them started?

HWC

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
HandledWithCare said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to get sunflower transplants or will I have to seed them? With the amount I need I would rather have a more certain way of starting them than seeding them outside and hoping.

HWC
I agree with Wanna. I have never seen transplants, but creating your own shouldn't be too hard! We spilled some sunflower seeds in one of the raised beds last year and ended up with quite a few nice heads for the chickens! lol! It will also be a lot cheaper than buying all starts.

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OH! I forgot to mention that we always have strawberries, blueberries, huckleberries, black currants, raspberries, a young plum tree, and a young apple tree that is never happy in life. I am excited for the strawberries this year, as they are finally a couple years established and should produce nicely! :fl

Another question! Last year the plum tree had a lot of blossoms, but never produced fruit. The leaves were kind of curly and odd on many of the branches, but I can't explain it better than that, as I can't remember now. It was it's first year in the ground and I am 95% sure that I bought one that is self-pollinating, as I knew I only wanted one tree. Was it just focussing on roots or do you think it had a fungus or something?

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Some fruit trees and berry bushes don't fruit in their first year. Perhaps that's the case with your tree?

HWC

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
HandledWithCare said:
Some fruit trees and berry bushes don't fruit in their first year. Perhaps that's the case with your tree?

HWC
That's what I was wondering too. We shall see this year I suppose! It also needed just a little pruning. Perhaps it just wasn't loved enough before it got here! :hugs

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Haha get out there and hug that tree! We're getting some clippings from some oooolllldddd blackberry bushes that my grandma first bought when my mom was a teen. I'm excited! The mint I'm getting from a lady at work. I don't expect much fruit or berries except from my strawberries this year. Would be nice though maybe the bees can coax them into it!

HWC

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so far i have

onions
bellpeppers
orange trees that really need to go into the ground
banana plants that really need to go into the ground
potatoes
strawberries
persimmon

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Time for a continuation of my earlier list :

As of 4/6/12:

Egyptian Walking Onion seeds
Mixed Nasturtiums
Wisteria 'Blue Moon'
Mixed 4 O'Clocks
Lupines
Lemon Basil
Genovese Basil
Thyme
Marjoram
Japanese Pickling Eggplant
California Wonder Bell Pepper
Ozark Giant Bell Pepper
Riesentraube Cherry Tomato
Rainbow Mix Cherry Tomato
Lemon Cukes
Moon & Stars Watermelon
Honeydew Melon
French Cantaloupe
Fairytale Squash
Acorn Squash
Raspberries

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got a 50 pound bag of black oil sunflower seeds for the chickens. Now I just toss them in the soil along with some flax seed.Way cheaper than buying packets. I may break down and order some seeds online.Have not seen any ground cherries or kale in my local stores.My mom gave me sunflowers she started once .They transplanted well,grew well,then the squirrels killed every last one of them when they were 3-4 feet tall. I had them lining my driveway,and just cried when I pulled in one afternoon to the mess. Darn squirrels.

My plums have blossoms.So do my nanking cherry bushes. The are just 2-3 years old.I think it was 4-6 wait for the plums on my 1-2 year saplings.Grrr.I want some plums.Not sure what is up with the leaf curl.Try the garden sister site. I just plant in good soil.If it dies I plant a new one somewhere else. I do now know however that rosemary can get powdery mildew when overwintered inside.Thought it was dust,lol.There are various home treatments for that,but I sitll have the mildew!

Don't forget you can eat a lot of those weeds. I used to freak over dandilions till I realised I can eat the entire plant! I used to get an expensive daniblend coffee alternative,but now I just make my own with chicory and dandilion.Good in salad too.

Wow $3 for a canteloupe. Thank goodness they are the easier of melons to grow though I will admit the few I tried got only to softball size!