What are you preparing for?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm not really prepping for anything specific either. But, there's always the possibility in this area for a long power outage-either from snow or a hurricane. And this year, we've had 2 storms, one in June and then Sandy that took out the power for many near here for over a week at a time. Plus, w/my MD, I can't really eat a lot of packaged foods. There's too much salt in them, so homemade it is.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think the question is for us, what are we not prepping for. Not being smart. I really like to be prepared no matter what the situation. You know the whole boy scout motto. Yep thats us. So do I think the economy CAN fall. Yep. Not sure if it will but its always a possibility. Can a tornado come through or another ice storm. Of course so we prepared for that also. Job loss, bad economy, war. No telling what we will face and prepping right before it happens is expensive and somewhat futile. So you have to just be generally able to take care of yourself. Can't depend on government help to get out of a crisis because there is no telling how inefficient and wasteful they will be. Half the time they do more harm than good. I would rather depend on the hard work and character of our little family.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
For us it is more just smart to prepare. Really we provide, not prepare. I want to be able to provide for our family regardless of the situation. We have bad winter storms every year or two and we can lose power. We also live in tough economic times, and one never knows. Plus it is a money saver, having these supplies on hand can help you save money and time.

We grow a garden (vegetables, some herbs, small fruits), keep chickens, geese, ducks, and rabbits for meat and eggs, and I am trying my hand at beekeeping. I also took up hunting this year. Mom makes cleaning supplies, all of us can, we all cook from scratch, etc. I am getting mom a soapmaking kit for Christmas. She has wanted one of them for a while.

These are skills that don't die, and will ALWAYS be usable.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Okra. I think it's hard for everyone to pin down a specific reason for prepping. I do think that most of us feel that tiny nagging way down deep in our souls that tells us that something isn't right. Of course being ready for disasters is only smart and a part of life. But I have noticed a tremendous shift in public attitudes over the past 10 or 15 years. Something just ain't right.

We have just gone through a terrible election here in the USA where we had to choose the lesser of two evils. Most of America thinks that we got the short end of the stick on that deal. It's obvious that we have the worst talent in the world for selecting our legislators and political bums. Our nation is infested with slackers and do-nothings who seem to feel that the industrious population should carry them - and our government officials seem to think so also. Our government is so bloated with employees who do absolutely nothing and others who do more harm than good. Our population drives to the store 4 times a day to purchase stuff made in China and then wonders why our employment is not good. Our entire nation is on drugs of some kind. We have the dopers and the Prozac crowd. If there is a major breakdown in our system to bring about a crisis these two groups will cause so much civil unrest it will create a chain reaction and chaos everywhere. The potheads and crackheads, the executive elite, and soccer moms will storm the pharmacies and Dr. offices to loot their drugs. And the drug supply will not last more than a week or two.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I live in a very rural part of the country and I would guess that 90% of my friends and acquaintances are prepping in some form or another. Self sufficiency is a common topic these days. The hatred for our elected officials is worse than I have seen in all my 70 years. The gun shops and gun shows are teeming with buyers and not just lookers. Ammo is in short supply at many stores. Groups have been and are being formed as "planned communities" in case everything goes to hell in a handbasket. People are worried.

One last thing. I'm starting to detect a very slight, under the surface, thought pattern slowly emerging. I sense a hidden desire for the S to hit the fan. I have heard many conversations in the past year or two about how the youth of America is so into their electronic gadgets that they are not capable of holding a conversation. That they have decreased ambition due to the economy downturn. That they rely on mommy and daddy more than ever and later into their adult lives. People are talking about how our nation is so fat and out of shape that most could not walk to the store if transportation was not available. Many think that it's time for a major re-set in our country to get us back on track. If this happens, it's not going to be pretty.

So, what are we prepping for? Don't know. But something is wrong out there and the people know it. It's hard to get ready and not know what we're getting ready for. But we're doing it.

Andy J

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Great post,Boogity.You hit the nail on the head.Our great country is so full of slackers,drug heads,idiots,fools,and all around useless people that I see nothing but trouble ahead for those of us work and are productive citizens.

God help the stupid,lazy pieces of human debris that are foolish enough to attempt to take from me what I have worked hard to obtain.

Andy

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I finished reading Once Second After by William R. Forstchen. It's a fiction account of a mountain NC town after the US is attacked via an EMP attack. Ficiton, yes, but it might challenge a few "I'm ready for anything" assumptions.

If things really, really hit the fan, life wouldn't be like living on the frontier in pioneer days, think one of the "Mad Max" movies.

YMMV

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
I finished reading Once Second After by William R. Forstchen. It's a fiction account of a mountain NC town after the US is attacked via an EMP attack. Ficiton, yes, but it might challenge a few "I'm ready for anything" assumptions.

If things really, really hit the fan, life wouldn't be like living on the frontier in pioneer days, think one of the "Mad Max" movies.

YYMV
Yes, so true. :thumbsup

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I know what is coming and thus do not have any niggling anticipation of "something" not right...none of it's right and hasn't been for a long time and folks are just now waking up and looking around, asking, "What was that noise that awakened me?".

Bad time to have slept through the build up and now be standing there rubbing the sleep from the eyes in confusion and doubt. I bet long about right now all those conspiracy theorists are sounding real smart.... :p

I'm not prepping nor have ever been. We call it living out here in the country and we do it each and every year of our lives. We make sure we grow enough or harvest enough food for the coming year, get in our fire wood, prep the house for bad weather, buy ammunition because we used some the year before~ or not...we only buy enough to keep by the bedside. We live frugally each and every day, keep things on hand in case the electric goes out, keep necessary tools hanging around in case we can't get gas, etc. That's just country life and we've been doing it pretty steady for the past 40 odd years, so nothing really changes here.

Not stocking up for any defense or zombie crapola, have the same guns we've had all our lives....an 80 yr. old .22 and a 45 yr old 16 gauge. Simple and to be used for varmints and to kill game if necessary.

In short, we have already prepared the only things necessary to face the present and coming world conditions~our hearts and souls~and any other preparations are the same things we do every year for each season.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Boogity said:
Hi Okra. I think it's hard for everyone to pin down a specific reason for prepping. I do think that most of us feel that tiny nagging way down deep in our souls that tells us that something isn't right. Of course being ready for disasters is only smart and a part of life. But I have noticed a tremendous shift in public attitudes over the past 10 or 15 years. Something just ain't right.

We have just gone through a terrible election here in the USA where we had to choose the lesser of two evils. Most of America thinks that we got the short end of the stick on that deal. It's obvious that we have the worst talent in the world for selecting our legislators and political bums. Our nation is infested with slackers and do-nothings who seem to feel that the industrious population should carry them - and our government officials seem to think so also. Our government is so bloated with employees who do absolutely nothing and others who do more harm than good. Our population drives to the store 4 times a day to purchase stuff made in China and then wonders why our employment is not good. Our entire nation is on drugs of some kind. We have the dopers and the Prozac crowd. If there is a major breakdown in our system to bring about a crisis these two groups will cause so much civil unrest it will create a chain reaction and chaos everywhere. The potheads and crackheads, the executive elite, and soccer moms will storm the pharmacies and Dr. offices to loot their drugs. And the drug supply will not last more than a week or two.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I live in a very rural part of the country and I would guess that 90% of my friends and acquaintances are prepping in some form or another. Self sufficiency is a common topic these days. The hatred for our elected officials is worse than I have seen in all my 70 years. The gun shops and gun shows are teeming with buyers and not just lookers. Ammo is in short supply at many stores. Groups have been and are being formed as "planned communities" in case everything goes to hell in a handbasket. People are worried.

One last thing. I'm starting to detect a very slight, under the surface, thought pattern slowly emerging. I sense a hidden desire for the S to hit the fan. I have heard many conversations in the past year or two about how the youth of America is so into their electronic gadgets that they are not capable of holding a conversation. That they have decreased ambition due to the economy downturn. That they rely on mommy and daddy more than ever and later into their adult lives. People are talking about how our nation is so fat and out of shape that most could not walk to the store if transportation was not available. Many think that it's time for a major re-set in our country to get us back on track. If this happens, it's not going to be pretty.

So, what are we prepping for? Don't know. But something is wrong out there and the people know it. It's hard to get ready and not know what we're getting ready for. But we're doing it.
i have to agree with boogity here.

i am not "prepped" to the point i would like to be, and i have a lot that i would like to do. but..........................

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I know what is coming and thus do not have any niggling anticipation of "something" not right...none of it's right and hasn't been for a long time and folks are just now waking up and looking around, asking, "What was that noise that awakened me?".

Bad time to have slept through the build up and now be standing there rubbing the sleep from the eyes in confusion and doubt. I bet long about right now all those conspiracy theorists are sounding real smart.... :p

I'm not prepping nor have ever been. We call it living out here in the country and we do it each and every year of our lives. We make sure we grow enough or harvest enough food for the coming year, get in our fire wood, prep the house for bad weather, buy ammunition because we used some the year before~ or not...we only buy enough to keep by the bedside. We live frugally each and every day, keep things on hand in case the electric goes out, keep necessary tools hanging around in case we can't get gas, etc. That's just country life and we've been doing it pretty steady for the past 40 odd years, so nothing really changes here.

Not stocking up for any defense or zombie crapola, have the same guns we've had all our lives....an 80 yr. old .22 and a 45 yr old 16 gauge. Simple and to be used for varmints and to kill game if necessary.

In short, we have already prepared the only things necessary to face the present and coming world conditions~our hearts and souls~and any other preparations are the same things we do every year for each season.
My feelings entirely, it is just "providing"