What berries are these???

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Was poking around the rock house for sale down the road and saw these growing along the fence row, first picture is of unripe, second of ripe ones....

217_img_20100816_141758.jpg

217_img_20100816_141752.jpg

Any ideas?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I LOVE your sig line!

Elderberries! There is a fairy tale of the matriarchal spirit of the Elderberry named Eldemoore. One must always ask her permission before picking! :D

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Oh, also, if you see some of the same plant with with red/orange-ish berries, they are poisonous. The purples are the safe ones.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
You know me well enough...I'll ALWAYS ask permission!! :D

Ok, red/orange = bad....got it!

Glad you like the siggy, lol :lol:

firem3

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
those berries are elder berries, they are very good for you if prepared correctly, they have alkyds in them that are toxic so they have to be cooked before consumption, they are great as jellies, wine, syrup, and just about any thing other berries are used for. The berries in the bottom pic are ripe for the picking the darker the better.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Elderberries! Can't wait to pick around here :)

I use them for color in applesauce and would love to find enough this year for jelly. Last year, I tried a syrup made with elderberry juice and loads of sugar (would try honey this time), but the quart jar fermented before I used it. I would like to make it again this year, only with raw honey, and then freeze cubes in ice cube trays. When/if the kids get colds, I plan to pop 1-2 out and have them take it like medicine :)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Thanx everyone! Looks like the birds are getting them, but I'll poke down there in the days to come and see how many bushes there are :D

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
yup, definately Elderberries. Ohhh yum! We have loads of them here on our property. I pick just over half, then leave the rest for the birds. I have bags of them in the freezer, waiting to be made into wine. :drool Now I need to learn to make wine! LOL My mother used to make it, but she is gone now, and I never got the lesson. drats! Just be carefull....if they grow on your property....the plants are VERY toxic to hogs..and they WILL eat them. Crazy hogs.

Latest posts