What can I do with lemons

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Another use, and my favorite...self defense. Squirt them into the eyes of your enemies.

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Take a basic white cake recipe and replace the liquid with lemon juice, that can use about a half dozen of 'em. We've got a tree that's loaded right now, too. There's usually at least one or two lemons out there but at the moment it's going crazy. I just fill up a big box or five gallon bucket and drag 'em down to the folks who sell vegetables at the corner vegetable market and swap them for whatever else I can get. That makes the vegetable sellers happy as well as me and presumably the lemon tree, too.

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can also use the lemon juice to whiten laundry, clean porcelain (think toilets, sinks and tubs) and I mix 1/4 lemon juice to 3/4 olive oil in a spray bottle to use on my wood furniture. It works better than pledge and doesn't build up. The rest, I would get a micro plane and zest them, then freeze the zest and juice separately for making cookies, cakes and other stuff! BTW...IF you should make a lemon meringue pie...don't forget to remove the seeds. Don't ask me how I know.:sick

Jeremy_31

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This is a little off topic but you can also use lemons to clean the inside of your microwave. Slice the lemon in half and put it face down on a microwaveable plate with a teaspoon or water. Turn the microwave on for about a minute or until the lemon gets hot and the inside of the microwave gets steamy. Wipe the inside of the microwave with either a towel or lint free towel. You also get the lovely lemon smell in your microwave for a few days!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jeremy_31 said:
This is a little off topic but you can also use lemons to clean the inside of your microwave. Slice the lemon in half and put it face down on a microwaveable plate with a teaspoon or water. Turn the microwave on for about a minute or until the lemon gets hot and the inside of the microwave gets steamy. Wipe the inside of the microwave with either a towel or lint free towel. You also get the lovely lemon smell in your microwave for a few days!
This works equally well with just the water - no lemon needed. But without the lemony scent of course ;) If I had a lemon tree I might use half a lemon for this; as I have to pay for any lemons I get I'd rather use just water.

ETA - :welcome

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Jeremy_31 said:
Not off topic at all. I think this is a great use for half a lemon.

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
had to take all lemons off tree, they were getting soft...well they sat on the kitchen floor for a while and thought I'd better do something quick..work..busy..so much other things to do .. bad timing for lemons, naturally...well after work squeesed 45 lemons and got 222 ounces of lemon juice (now sitting in fridge).. kept a bunch of peel (you call it zest...thin thin top of peel) put in a quart of olive oil....what do with this now...will freeze juice in 2oz cups to use at random.....Tired, tired, tired....(Ha) seems like crops come in always at the WRONG time but always a good time to enjoy them.....will put some juice in vinegar to scent...it is the juice I put in or was it supposed to be the peel? no more peelings! just wanted to visit a bit, have a good day, enjoy this forum, feels like friends....

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Hi Kings! It does feel like friends here doesn't it :)

I soak the peel in vinegar for a while (translation: I usually forget to take it out until its been about two weeks). When I strain it out the vinegar has an orange tint to it (I've only used oranges, but I am sure lemons would work). It works wonders for cleaning.

I don't know what you can do with the olive oil other than cook with it. It would probably be good to use added to dishes and things instead of plain to give things a lemon flavor. You might be able to use it as a bit of furniture polish, but you'd better check with someone with more knowhow than I have on that!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The oil is really good in salad dressings. Also, if you like the Italian idea of a little bowl of oil to dip good bread into, this is delicious. Next time you are doing lemons, put some of the zest into ice cube tray compartments (maybe 1/2 or 1 teaspoon, cover with lemon juice, and freeze. Then, when you need zest for baking or cooking you can just defrost a cube, and drain off the juice.)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can salt cure lemons. I've heard they'll hold for 1 year, but I suspect much longer.