What can I do with lemons

dma1974

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Don't know if these uses were mentioned or not but after receiving a bunch of huge lemons recently I used the rinds in some vinegar and froze the juice in trays. I then put the cubes in a baggie in the freezer. I use them to cook with for whatever calls for lemon or whatever I want to put it in, chicken, fish, etc... and iced tea. I suppose they could be melted back down for a curd or something. Freezing the juice seemed to solve the problem of them going bad and being wasted.

ETA- sorry, I just realized this WAS mentioned already. Oops, I hadn't gotten that far into the thread.

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Preserved or pickled lemons are widely used in Asian and Arabic recipes and are grated to add to soups, stews, fish dishes, whilst baking, rice dishes and many other recipes.

You can make your own by selecting sufficient unblemished lemons to fill a large jar. Wash lemons thoroughly and cut lemons into quarters but only cut halfway through the flesh leaving the lemons whole. Fill each lemon with salt and pack tightly into your pre-sterilised jar.

Once your jar is full, sprinkle the lemons with an additional 1 tbsp salt, add a few bay leaves, 2 tablespoons of crushed peppercorns, some whole cloves and a cinnamon stick.

Pour the juice of three lemons and sufficient boiling water to nearly fill the jar and fill to the top with olive oil.

Place your sealed jar in the fridge and allow to rest for 6-8 weeks before use.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
throw them at people you dont like

:D
You are so lucky I had already swallowed my tomato soup! Otherwise, you'd be cleaning off my screen! :lol:

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I throw them for the dog but she won't bring them back. She picked one up then spit it out and now she gives me stink eye if I throw them and ask her to bring them back.

My neighbor makes salt pickle lemon. I dunno if they go through that much of a recipe, though. Slice the lemons, dip in salt, pack them in the jar, (he uses gallon sized jars) put the lid on and put the jar out in the sun on the carport roof, I think is his recipe. There's always lines of jars on some carport roofs. Maybe I should give the lemons to them!

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey everybody, put the lemon rinds ( 2 quart jar -zest-cut thin) in a quart of olive oil instead of vinegar....I thought that was what I read...shoot now I have 2 quarts of lemon olive oil....how to use besides dipping bread? will try the sugar free cake mix(using juice instead of water) but that doesn't solve the mess of olive oil I have....thank you...

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My step -mother juices her lemons and puts the juice in cleaned waxed half-gallon cartoons ( mainly from o.j.,lemonade,etc.) and puts them into the freezers. She gives them away and uses them throughout the year for fresh juice and to make fresh lemonade. I don't know what she does with the rind.

I will have to try the furniture polish and salted lemons.

Monica