What can I do with my Simply Orange bottles.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I go through four or five Simply Orange or Simply Lemonades bottles a week. That's a lot of trash and I feel guilty just tossing the bottles into the recycle container. Does anyone have some suggestions on how to reuse the bottles? Something for in the garden or for the birds?
All suggestions greatly appreciated.

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We occasionally have those around, too, and I also hate to toss them! We put them in the recycle bin, but still...

I have a couple set aside that I'll use to mix up my solution of vitamins/electrolytes for the chickens. I hesitate to re-use them for anything for us human critters, as I've heard icky stuff about re-using plastics--chemicals leaching from the plastic.

I wonder if you could poke a couple of small holes in the top & neck, fill with water, then bury the neck in the ground next to a plant and use it as an automatic waterer? Like the little spikes you can buy to go on the end of soda bottles?

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We cut our in half and placed it on top of the chicken's food dish to keep them from sitting on the top.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Best thing would of course be to drink something that doesn't have to be packaged in bitty plastic bottles but of course you already know that ;)

Failing that, I would say look around you as you go about your daily life and with everything you do, ask yourself 'is there a way that this juice bottle could make it work more efficiently or replace some other consumable'. (Since using them for things you *wouldn't* ordinarily be doing is not necessarily superior to recycling the plastic they contain). Filled with water they can provide extra thermal mass inside a coldframe, if that helps any.

Really though, ditching them for a refillable bottle to drink water (etc) from would go a whole lot further towards reducing one's footprint and making one more self sufficient... sorry ;)

Good luck,

Pat

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I know.........I shouldn't be buying stuff in plastic bottles. I've been rationalizing it because the juice is sooooo good to me and makes me feel sturdy.

I checked out the Simply Orange website at https://secure.simplyorangejuice.com and by clicking on the arrow, came across an 800 number and an email address. They specifically say, Talk To Us and mention the plastic carafes. So I sent them an email and asked why they use plastic instead of cardboard cartons. I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Geez, who'd a thought that my daily juice could be an environmental issue? But everything is anymore, isn't it?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
cjparker said:
Yeah, I know.........I shouldn't be buying stuff in plastic bottles. I've been rationalizing it because the juice is sooooo good to me and makes me feel sturdy.
What about buying regular (good, unsweetened) juice and just pouring it into a thermos or other reusable bottle? :p

So I sent them an email and asked why they use plastic instead of cardboard cartons. I'll let you know if I get a reply.
I am not sure how recycleable cartons are anyhow? I mean, they are plastic- or wax-coated...

Geez, who'd a thought that my daily juice could be an environmental issue? But everything is anymore, isn't it?
Or, one might say, always HAS been, only we forgot for a few generations ;)

Pat

nccountrygirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Any wax coated carton will make a great fire starter. The wax acts sorta like a candle and will get your fire going good for you. Just remember to wash it out and let it dry well before using.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Punch a few drainage holes in the bottom and use it to start your own veggie plants. Any type of plastic or wax coated container can be used. Yogurt cups are great.;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We buy our juice as frozen concentrate in the cardboard cans, and use reusable containers if we feel the need to have juice instead of water. The cardboard can be used as someone stated above and that only leaves a little metal disc...for which we have found numerous uses!

Latest posts