What can I do with my Simply Orange bottles.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I buy alot of juices and such in plastic containers. I keep what I need to be re-used for other purposes, but I have no problem at all in buying these.

They go to recycling, they are used again...and plastic is not going away, and recycling is your answer.

I "hardly" ever buy tiny-weeney juice drinks. I buy the largest size so I feel for me, recycling plastic is as good as it gets.

just my thoughts on it...but I know how you feel when you "see" so much trash generated on one particular item...but if it can't be re-used again, recycle is the next best thing definitely!

think of all those that don't do it!
you are well ahead at this point.

chcknrs

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I buy large jugs of Tropicana OJ. When we finish off the juice, I rinse them, put the lids on tightly, cut a hole in the side and fill with water....portable waterer for the chickens. I also fill them with water without a hole, put them in the freezer and use them for the ice chest. No watery mess, and keeps everything nice and cold! Plus they can be reused over and over.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like the idea of filling them with water and freezing for the cooler. I might try that if I get some plastic containers.

funkychicken

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I also freeze my empty jugs(milk, juice,etc.) with water. I line the bottom of the freezer with them so if the power goes out my freezer will last much longer than most. Also , I am a bit short so the added height to the bottom of the freezer can really help! When we need a cooler..I have block ice that lasts! I also ran across an idea about using plastic containers in the garden...punch holes in the sides and bury next to plant with a little bit of the container exposed...fill with water...voila...plant waterer and conservation all in one!!

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
But remember, the plastic breaks down out in the sun like that, and makes a terrible mess. I think metal cans....sans lead...would be a better option. And metal can have a beneficial effect on the plants, as a bonus. :)

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can use them to start seedlings in the winter. Cut top part way off so that you can bend it put gravel in, put soil in, put seed in, then tape back up and place outside. The seedlings are supposed to be more resilient when they sprout in the winter and left out.
lin

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The larger Simply Orange containers are GREAT for mixing up lemonade, and their squarish shape fits perfectly in our cooler to take to the lake. I also keep one to water my indoor plants. And, like some have mentioned earlier, I put them in the freezer with water to put in the chicken coop or rabbit hutch on hot days.

If you are overrun with them, you might check and see if you have a local FreeCycle website.

:D

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm going to use them like a cloche, to cover the tender plants early next spring. They should be ideally suited for that, since I can just cut off the bottom and stick them into the ground around the plant. I can leave the lid on or off as needed.

I will also try the drip-watering idea. I'm also wondering if they would be good to use for some of those upside-down tomato plants or maybe something smaller like herbs.

I never heard from Simply Orange about why they use plastic for their product. You'd think that since they emphasize that there is nothing but good, wholesome orange juice (or lemonade, etc) in their products, that they would want to use something a little more earth-friendly.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
We use our Simply Lemonade bottles and fil lthem up with water and put crystal light mixes into it.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I use plastic bottles to store water. (milk bottles and juice bottles)
If our power goes out, so does our well pump. :(

I use the smaller bottles to wash, fill with water and freeze - I use that to help cool the coop or any nests with broody chickens. I stand frozen bottles in front of a fan when its SUPER hot.

I also keep the frozen bottles in the freezer to take up and use "space" and as a safe guard in case our power goes out (in summer - in winter we could just dump everything outside :D )