What can I do with old olive oil?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Okay, I learned the hard way. I now have about half a gallon of old olive oil. It smells a bit....off.

If I use it to make soap, will the soap smell like the olive oil...a bit 'off'? :sick I'm guessing it will....

What else can I do with this stuff? We have a couple stumps that we'll try to burn out this winter, so I thought about pouring it on them, letting it soak in a day and then lighting them up.

I know you can use it to oil concrete forms, but I won't be messing with concrete for a couple years. Guess I could save it for that.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Old oil makes a great weed killer. :hu Or you could give it to someone who can convert it to biodiesel.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Fire starter by soaking cardboard egg cartons with it? Add to chicken feed? (if you have chickens)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Add to chicken feed? Yes, I have a few hens, I never would have thought of that! Does the oil (any oil) help the hens in some way?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good eating fats helps any critter big or small.

How old is IT? and how off does it smell? jsut wondering

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Store olive oil in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months or in the refrigerator up to a year. Check the label for a bottling date for freshness. Olive oil does not improve with age like fine wine and is best when used during the first 6 months of pressing.

Refrigerated or very cold olive oil will become cloudy, but will clear up when brought to room temperature. Be sure it is kept in an airtight container.

----------------

yea Marianne that is getting older for sure.

critters can ingest easily. Or the other posts were good also. I think it would only ruin any good food you might use it for at this point.
and you gave it the :sick :lol:

but for me, olive is used all the time. in fact I might go thru only 2 small quarts of oil a year. Ol oil is my main for everything practically.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
If it's only a teeny bit "off," you could consider slathering it on dry winter skin. When I get out of the shower on these fall/winter mornings, I immediately oil up with a mixture of oils, or straight olive oil. It's so great for your skin! Obviously, if it really reeks, you probably won't want to do this. :p

Latest posts