What can I do with these large spools?

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
April2011048.jpg

We saved these last summer thinking we would find a use for them, but so far haven't. Any ideas?

Okie Amazon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use them for goat play toys, but I would think you could also make a planter out of them.

morgj

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I remember when I had my first apartment and I used a spool for my coffee table.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you have chickens?? I saw someone cut out one of the center boards....add bedding to the center....then take fencing and staple it to the outside of the spool....makeing a small coop for banties..or quail...smaller birds. I thougfht it was a neat idea...they are stackable...so takes up less space. Also, if you have an area that needs a small "bridge" just lay this in there sink it in the mud a little...so it doesnt roll. You would of course have to cut out the centers some, to let the water flow through. The gosts LOVE these as climbing toys!!!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've seen them used often as coffee or picnic tables, and when I was a kid we camped at a campground that had the most fabulous climbing playground/fort thing made out of them. :)

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Stack them on top of each other and run some strings up and down, and plant peas or pole beans around the bottom.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Years ago, we had one w/pole thru the middle, and a bird feeder on top. The birds loved it as well. I never had a problem w/a cat getting on it to attack them.

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A friend of mine made rabbit hutches out of them cut a hole in the center ans put a floor in it then put wire on the out side of the spool

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have three in my flower garden. I just put plants (planted in old enamelware, tea pots, etc ) and outdoor decor things on them. Stacking one on top of the other gives you a 'shelf'.

I used to work at a green house that had a lot of them. She used the tallest ones as tables with bar stools, stacked smaller ones for displaying stuff. Really cute and rustic.