What can I do with this?

cluckmecoop7

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is there anything useful/interesting I could use this brook trouts backbone for? And what about the tail and the fin?

Thanks.

IMG_1569.jpeg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you had more, you could make fish stock for a soup or chowder. I don't usually bother on smaller fish.

Salmon I fillet off the bones. Those bones I brine, then smoke along with the collars. Those make good snacks. Tuna bones I make stock with if I do the loin removal. Collars are treated like salmon and smoked.

I do confess that I'm more likely to just use bonito flakes to make a fish stock as they store a long time if the cats don't beg them all off me.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would just bury them in the garden.

yeah, down deep enough the raccoonians can't smell them.

i'd never even think of cooking them or making a stock. we just don't eat fish here very often unless it is canned salmon or tuna. yeah, sad, i know... :/

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I cook salmon, I skin it first. The strong flavor is in the skin... so... cooking w/o skin is preferred. But, I never throw that skin away. I fry it up, and snip it into little bits with my kitchen shears for the chickens.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your chickens must love you.

Fried fish skin is great for eating. That's one of my favorite parts. Makes it worth the scaling.

I prefer the oily fish like trout, sturgeon, salmon and tuna. They all do have strong flavors.

White fish aren't my favorite. Some of them I can't stand like tilapia.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm turned off re: tilapia after hearing how it's raised in China. I would eat it if it was raised here in the states. For that matter, I'm trying not to buy ANYTHING from china now. Salmon is my favorite, and I prefer farm raised! I find it milder and more tender than it's wild counterpart. As for fish that can be caught locally: I've not done much fishing, but will eat just about any type of fish. Love crabs and lobster. Can't eat bivalves: deadly allergic. Some day, I want to try snapper turtle and frogs legs.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here are some articles about farm raised salmon: