What can you live without?

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
A few years ago, I heard of an English reality tv show where a family volunteered to live as they did during the Victorian Era (or thereabouts). They had to do things just as they did back then, which included feminine hygene products (which were non existant back then.) And it got me thinking, what do we all take for granted in our daily lives? Some have mentioned paper towels, and I'm wondering, other than feminine products (sorry guys, lol) what do you think you could live without, but never thought about?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I can live without toothpaste because a baking soda and salt mix works much better anyway... and your gums get stronger for it.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gosh, there's so much stuff I COULD live without! (And this is only for ME. I'm not trying to imply that anyone could or would want to live without any of this stuff.)

As far as being self-sufficient goes, I know every time we talk about being independent, some things come up as being not realistic to produce yourself: Oil, flour, rice, sugar, etc. I could live without all of that stuff. I would not want to live without salt!

What about artificial light? I dunno. I could possibly live without light bulbs, using lamps or something instead. I'm not sure of the economy of using kerosene (for example) instead of electricity. But I do believe that I would be much less wasteful if I were using lamps. Like I would only light one for just when I needed it and blow it out when I was done. I would rather live without lighbulbs than the internet!

Dish washing liquid? Actually, I do use an automatic dishwasher, but sometimes I wash things by hand in the sink. Most of the time, I good stiff sponge and warm water will get them every bit as clean as dish soap.

And regarding the feminine products. I found a solution for that, too. Guys, do not click on this link. Without offering TMI, I will just say that it paid for itself in less than three months. http://www.divacup.com/ <--- hard core woman stuff warning

Cassandra

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Cass, I've heard of the DivaCup, lol, and no, its not for guys or squeamish.

I was dishes by hand, and some of the things you brought up were good!! I'll have to make note of the toothpaste ;)

Anyone else?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have lived without a car when I lived closed to town. Bought 40 lb bags of dog food home on a luggage dolly.
I could live without TV, ice cream (sob!), snack foods, bras, flower garden, Kleenex,clocks, sound systems,paper towels, mower, vacuum, microwave.
Things I would not like to live without but could- cordless drill, dog,toilet paper, heat and hot water, toaster oven, fridge, scrunchies, hairbrush, toothbrush,dish brush, soap and vinegar, books.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
editing this b/c I thought it was what "CAN'T" you live w/out... oops...

hot water,soaps (shampoo, laundry soap, dish soap etc) toilet paper, and refrigerator.

I'm sure there's more.. but that's the essentials that I can think of for now.

I've heard of the diva cup also... haven't been daring enough to try it, though I would if I had to.

Now that I"ve figured out what the question really is.....
What I CAN live w/out? well that's harder... numerous things.... definitely t.v., I love radio, though I suppose I could live w/out it and settle for live music. We're always playin' guitar/piano and singin' around here. This is a really hard question ya know!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ladies, The Diva cup works well and I have many issues in that area. That is all I will say! ;)

farm_mom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, since the men have probably already run screaming from this thread, I'd like to add that luna pads (www.lunapads.com) are a great choice for those (like me) who are a bit squemish about the diva cup. Someday I want to make my own, (and there are great patterns to do so out there on the net) but sadly, I have no sewing skills to speak of....yet anyway.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I could probably do without dish soap, ....boiling water works well to sanitize. I could use Baking Soda for shampoo and toothpaste, and I think I could revert to the old methods for keeping things cold. Electricity, for lamps and such, I could probably make do without as well. Hot water can be done, either with solar or fire, so I guess its a matter of making 'do' not necessarrily 'without'.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I do not understand the premise of this thread. What *can* you live without? Well, obviously (and more or less by definition) we can ALL live without anything but the basic necessities of life -- marginally-sufficient nutrition, sufficient water, a way to keep your body parts from getting too cold in winter, some sort of shade in summer, and enough protection from all the world's bugs/disease/predators/etc that they don't kill you right away.

What else could there possibly be?

<shaking head in bafflement>

Anything beyond that is 'what do I prefer not to live without'. Which is a pretty different concept, albeit one that is quite often confused with the former in today's world*.

*-well, the parts of today's world where we are affluent enough
to be sitting around debating whether we can live without toilet
paper and lightbulbs, anyhow.

Sorry,

Pat, who would prefer to keep the t.p. and lightbulbs (and freezer, and washing machine, and elastic, and steel, and lots of other things) but is not about to pretend that they are indispensible to human life, mine or anyone else's.