What chicken breed am I looking for?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I find it so interesting that so many of us had different results with the "same" types of hens! I wonder if it is the genetic lines of our particular hens, or what does best in our neck of the woods or even on our particular property? Hmmm....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If they cannot be a white breed, I would suggest you will find what you want with NHRs and/or BAs. I am going on three years with my NHRs and WRs, as well as the BAs and I have broodies from each of these breeds each year.

All three breeds also are very consistent layers of large brown eggs and have good, meaty carcasses.

I cull vigorously for egg laying and use the culled birds for meat supply, so I choose for egg laying first, meaty and big second and I also appreciate a breed that is very hardy. These breeds are.

So, for your needs, I elect New Hamps and Black Aussies.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
just curious,
why not white?
I personally dont mind it, its okay. But somebody else in this house hates white so no white birds plus we free range so white sounds like it might be obvious to hawks.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol hates white
I understand--I thought it was something like that

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I lost 2 ducks to hawks. One was white but the other was the only brown duck in the flock :hu

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I had heard the same thing about white being more susceptible to hawk predation but it would have to be a bald eagle to carry one of these fat girls away. I've only had two chickens lost to hawks and neither were my White Rocks.

They are truly some of the most beautiful in my flock, great mothers, consistent layers and healthy as can be. Mine are now three years old and going strong on all counts.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
If it was me I would probably get a couple of breeds.

I would have some primarily for the egg laying skills and those would not need to be broody. Then I would keep other birds primarily for their broodiness. You can hatch what ever eggs you want under the broody ones and not sacrifice your egg count.

I am all about my Ameraucanas, but I do think I have had a nice laying strain. Black Stars are my favorite non-heritage bird. Marans are currently my favorite heritage ones. For broodies I don't think you can beat a game hen like an Old English or other game type. They may not be able to cover as many eggs but they are fierce protectors of their babies. Orpingtons and Cochins also make good broodies. If I HAD to pick a bird to do both I like Australorps for a good dual purpose bird. :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
IMO *line* matters a whole lot more than *breed*.

For instance some sources will sell you big good-laying quick-growing peaceful BR's -- others' BRs may be small and scrawny, or poor layers, or real s.o.b.'s to be around.

So I think you need to combine your question WITH the question of where you're ordering from.

If you have a particular hatchery in mind because it is nearby or whatever, then ask for peoples' experiences with particular breeds *from that hatchery*. Or, if you are willing to order from "anywhere", make sure you are asking WHICH mail-order hatchery people got the birds from that they are recommending to you ;)

For instance I could tell you how much I like my speckled sussex, as being quick-growing yummy meat producers AND pretty decent layers AND purty and docile... but quite frankly a whole lot of the speckled sussexes that I have seen of other peoples, or heard them talk about, are significantly smaller and would not give you much meat. So unless you could get yours from the same original source as mine (and you can't, it's a Canadian hatchery), my recommendation would be useless at best and misleading at worst :p

BTW I second the suggestion to get half a dozen of each of several breeds and see whatcha like.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat