What did you do in your orchard today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tank and I had helpers planting last year's grafted apples. I do believe the neighbors little boy is tanks favorite human. That's their black lab, her name is mini or minnie.
Screenshot_20240329_194530_Gallery.jpg

I asked the little boy if he would touch the top of the baby apple tree and say grow. He did, he was really excited to help plant this baby granny smith apple. He said he loves to eat apples. He also liked my tin snips for cutting ratwire trunk guards. He said it was my outdoor scissors.
Screenshot_20240329_194659_Gallery.jpg

I still have more apple trees to plant, this row will have 15. Maybe they will help again tomorrow or maybe not? But if you graft them, you gotta plant them.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not much to see here other than t-posts and a little green sticking out of the tops of the hardware cloth guards at this point.

I recall planning for 15 apples in this row. I ran out of apples at 13. Where are the other 2? Then I remembered, I gave 2 away.

So I have room for 2 more apples in this row. I'll have to graft a pair next spring or catch a sale this year. Some apple that is a pollinator pollinating partner with golden delicious, large, all purpose, good disease resistance and one that I don't already have.

The old hay on the left side will be used as mulch after we get some good rains.
Screenshot_20240401_114419_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Chriet ✝️

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I harvested mulberries yesterday and today. I've got some in the freezer and I think I'll put the next batch in the dehydrator. Might try to make a low carb cobbler or pie or something yummy. Its hard to see in this pic, but the tree is so loaded that some branches are touching the ground.

I spread out a sheet under the tree and gently run my hands down the branches. The ripe berries (and a few red ones) fall off onto the sheet and are easily gathered up from there.

1712017987797.jpeg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I harvested mulberries yesterday and today. I've got some in the freezer and I think I'll put the next batch in the dehydrator. Might try to make a low carb cobbler or pie or something yummy. Its hard to see in this pic, but the tree is so loaded that some branches are touching the ground.

I spread out a sheet under the tree and gently run my hands down the branches. The ripe berries (and a few red ones) fall off onto the sheet and are easily gathered up from there.

View attachment 25860
Dehydrated mulberries are good with granola cereal for breakfast. Whatever you make, it's hard to go wrong with mulberries 😋 Do you know what variety the mulberry is? It looks like it has a weeping growth pattern, maybe a weeping mulberry?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't particularly care for pear trees but a cold hardy fruit tree is a cold hardy fruit potential.
View attachment 25858
Now, just in cas it lives, I need to find another cold hardy pear since they aren't self fertile.

Good online pollinating guide

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dehydrated mulberries are good with granola cereal for breakfast. Whatever you make, it's hard to go wrong with mulberries 😋 Do you know what variety the mulberry is? It looks like it has a weeping growth pattern, maybe a weeping mulberry?
Just an ordinary red mulberry. This is the largest harvest it's ever given me. Generally, the branches are totally upright, this is the first time they've had a large enough crop to droop the way they are now. I'm looking forward to trying them dehydrated.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If we want peaches this year, now is the time to spray. Before mrs plum curculio arrives, and lays her egg inside the tiny peaches. Such a waste of a bees hard work otherwise.
Screenshot_20240405_195329_Gallery.jpg

I had no doubt we would have pears this year when I saw and heard the honey bees that covered the pear trees. No better time than pedal fall to start the pear spray schedule.
Screenshot_20240405_195846_Gallery.jpg

I hope the honey bees return enmass again, our apples and cherries are in need their services.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hmmm. Any bee keepers in your area? Maybe offer them a site for a hive. Flavors differ with available nectar.

I have a new neighbor close. This yr, I've seen a lot of orchard starts going in ☺️ Next time I am out & see them working there, I'll stop & express my delight that there is "farming" being added. Besides, I'll be a customer when it's producing 🥰 the property has been sitting dormant for several years. House had some residents off & on but, just mowed grass on the acreage.

Anyway, I think of your orchard posts every time I go by & see the new plantings 👍