What did you do in your orchard today?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@R2elk

Have a closer look at the following peach varieties for zone 4. All 4 are said to be hardy to -20F -28C. You may have to take some extra precautions when you dip below the minimum temp. Maybe a tent of plastic might help? 🤷‍♂️ But you can research the best means.

Intrepid
Contender
Blushingstar
Reliance

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

@R2elk

Have a closer look at the following peach varieties for zone 4. All 4 are said to be hardy to -20F -28C. You may have to take some extra precautions when you dip below the minimum temp. Maybe a tent of plastic might help? 🤷‍♂️ But you can research the best means.

Intrepid
Contender
Blushingstar
Reliance

I never use plastic. It traps moisture, used old bed sheets myself.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@R2elk also add these peach varieties to your research for zone 4

Flamin' Fury
Raritan Rose

there are literally 1000's of peach varieties but only a handful are said to be hardy into zone 4.

I'll reply back after I research rootstocks and determine the best ones for zone 4. That way you can give them a better chance with cold hardy feet.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@R2elk some more info for you. I asked a couple friends and the replies are starting to come in. so perhaps more to follow?

Recommended to paint the trunks white with watered down latex and shelter the south west side from direct sun. I provided that info in one of the above links for you already though.

https://snakeroot.net/MTCA/peaches/

That is why the label has not been removed.
20230909_083741.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Its been two weeks since peach rootstock had been grafted. 7 of 12 grafts took, that's approximately 58%. Three more are showing promise, but haven't broke bud yet, so they don't count.
Screenshot_20240314_132634_Gallery.jpg

I'll see if I can find some scions out of the orchard and re-graft, if not then I'll baby sit the rootstocks over the summer and try again next year.

Just a personal obvesrvation... Peaches have a soft/somewhat hollow heartwood. So it seems better suited to bud, bark or cleft graft, than it is to whip and tongue graft. However a few of my whip and tongue grafts did take. Also I know peach rootstocks need well drained soil. But it seems best to keep them good and wet until the grafts. Take then carry on as usual. Kind of mimic wet rainy early spring weather.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Planted my mother in laws peach that I grafted last year into the orchard today. We have no idea the variety, so I'm calling it Marge Peach, after my mother in law's name. Hopefully it'll grow and be something for the family to remember her by.
Screenshot_20240325_190517_Gallery.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eventhough it frosted overnight, the pears are coming into full bloom and apples are just starting to bloom.
Screenshot_20240328_143057_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240328_143338_Gallery.jpg

The orchard is a buzz with life to the point where you can not have a conversation over the honey bee buzz. There must be thousands of beautiful honey bees in the orchard. I ❤️ this time of the year when everything is waking up from a long dormancy. Where do the honey bees come from, where do they go? IDK... but I'm very happy they found the orchard and they are more than welcome to stay as long as they want. Bees, they are the essence of life.
Screenshot_20240328_144926_Gallery.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tank and I had helpers planting last year's grafted apples. I do believe the neighbors little boy is tanks favorite human. That's their black lab, her name is mini or minnie.
Screenshot_20240329_194530_Gallery.jpg

I asked the little boy if he would touch the top of the baby apple tree and say grow. He did, he was really excited to help plant this baby granny smith apple. He said he loves to eat apples. He also liked my tin snips for cutting ratwire trunk guards. He said it was my outdoor scissors.
Screenshot_20240329_194659_Gallery.jpg

I still have more apple trees to plant, this row will have 15. Maybe they will help again tomorrow or maybe not? But if you graft them, you gotta plant them.

Last edited: