What did you do to save $ today?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Hung out my laundry to dry! :D

I bought a new washing line, umbrella style and "installed" it yesterday, we're supposed to have rain today, but windy as heck - so I did a load and hung it out - :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I reorganized our travel trailer today and found about 100 dollars worth of stuff just sitting in there in the way of food, getting old. I did not even realize we had that much food tucked away in there, but when I reorganized everything I just brought all the food in.

The teenagers thought I had gone to the store!

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is a little dumb, but it made me happy. My co-op has owner appreciation sales, where all the owner members can come in and shop at a discount. The discount goes from 5-10% based on how much you spend. Right before I got to the register, I added it up mentally, and realized that if I grabbed at least $3 more worth of goods, I would bump up by 3% savings... in short, I ended up with about $7 of food for "free" over what it would have been if I hadn't done the math. :D

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I got a bunch of little things for less than I normally would have to spend.

Dollar Tree had some stuff that I've been needing and would have normally cost plenty more.
pack of 7 dust masks for 1.00
colored chalk I can use to mark material for sewing - instead of fancy fabric marking pens. It washes right out.
a "meat thermometer" to check temp of milk for making yogurt/cheese.
Found sleep masks, since security lights :somad shine in our bedroom every night. Now it will be easier to sleep at night! :th :cool:

At the grocery store:
The laundry soap I like using was $ 4.00 off with the stores member card- which I have.
I checked the price of Epi-Pens, since I have a prescription but our pharmacy told me it was $ 93.00 :tongue for it. This Kroger has a generic of it for about Forty dollars cheaper !!!! :bow I didn't have the $ today, but I know where I will be going for it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Over the weekend, my mom and I made DS's birthday cake.

My mom made the cake (gluten-free) and cut a single round cake into a "3" shape.

I did the decorating.

4534776696_15632b90f5_b.jpg

4534205751_65b4d68bcc_b.jpg

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I got 11 bales of straw delivered yesterday, and will massage a horse on Tuesday in exchange. It is a new client, referred by another client....This person is also going to take my next lifestyle class, and has been coming weekly for massage. Doesn't sound like much, but it gets me into a whole new network of people, all with horses and farms...woohoo!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Tortoise, that is a cute cake, and kid
I think decorating kid's birthday cakes is a lot of fun.

Free, that is a good score. Connections are soo important!

I visited a friend the other day and brought her surplus eggs and bacon (FIL brings us a four pack at least once a month, we have 3 of those in the freezer) and she gave me bakery bread that she had just picked up for free and lots of gallon plastic pots, which we'll use to pot up our tomatoes and peppers and such, until the ground is plowed and we can plant in the field.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Since I learned to make my own bread, we have been going through flour like crazy. So yesterday, instead of buying a couple little bags, I bought in bulk. The little 5lb bags are 2$ a piece and I got a 25 lb bag for 8$. Its like getting a free bag of flour! I know its not much, but it will tide my flour needs over for a while and it will save me the gas money too!

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Tortoise, I love your cake!!

Is your icing and cake gluten free? If so, did you make them from scratch, or buy a mix?

We are going gfcf, and I make my kids cakes also. I'm still trying to decide on making my own, or buying the mixes. I think eventually, I will make my own from scratch...especially if it's less expensive. If it's more expensive, I will probably go for the convenience of the mix, and just do the decorating myself.

Yesterday, we came back from a mini Rt 66 trip from OKC to Elk City. Just outside of Clinton OK, I found a Lenox Teapot at a roadside antique stand and bought it for 12 bucks! I have been looking for a teapot for my daughter and I didn't want to buy any cheap made childrens tea sets from a big box store, made with God knows what, so I have been buying pieces here and there, but still needed the teapot. I bought the tea cups and saucers for .50 a cup and saucer set at the Habitat For Humanity store.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Okiemommy said:
Tortoise, I love your cake!!

Is your icing and cake gluten free? If so, did you make them from scratch, or buy a mix?

We are going gfcf, and I make my kids cakes also. I'm still trying to decide on making my own, or buying the mixes. I think eventually, I will make my own from scratch...especially if it's less expensive. If it's more expensive, I will probably go for the convenience of the mix, and just do the decorating myself.
Yes - both gluten free. My mom makes almost everything gluten free from scratch, but it is DEFINITELY worth getting a mix for the cake. It was a Betty Crocker mix.

The frosting is easy:

Shortening (about 2/3 cup) creamed with powdered sugar (about 3 cups) and thinned with milk. About 1/4, but add it 1 Tbspn at a time. You can add cocoa too for chocolate. I add some brown food coloring to get it really dark.

Latest posts