What did you do to save $ today?

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Saved on electric by putting on a sweater and wool socks, I am cold until 80#. Planted 10 tomato starts in 7 year old wall-o-waters for early tomatoes. Didn't call the fence guy back after a quote of $100 a foot to protect from 3 stray dogs. Can buy a lot of bullets and or stand guard for $3000. Am putting up chicken proof? fencing near the run and planting most of the chicken crops- oats, buckwheat, millet and green brassicas that didn't perform well for us to eat there and take down each fenced area and let them harvest it themselves instead of me hauling it.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some ideas to deter the dogs:

Home Remedies to Deter Dogs

Repel it

Common home remedies to keep dogs off specific areas include a variety of repellents designed keep them from the area.

Cayenne Pepper

Cayenne pepper or chili powder will cause nasal irritation and will be strong to the dogs sensitive sense of smell. Dry powder can be added to small areas, like garden areas. The power can be mixed with Vaseline to rub on items that you want to prevent the dog from chewing. The pepper can also be added to water to create a solution you can spray over larger areas.

Citrus

Add lemon and orange slices to your garden to keep dogs out. The fruit will decompose and create fertilizer for the garden and the strong citrus smell will be too strong for the dogs sensitive nose. Add lemon juice to water to spray indoors to deter your dog from areas of the house.

Vinegar

Vinegar also has a strong smell that will repel dogs, but cant be used directly on garden plants or landscaping as it will kill the plants.

Coffee

Coffee grounds of any variety including decaf will also act as a strong smelling repellent to deter dogs; the grounds will add nutrient value to the garden soil.

Water

Dogs by nature wont defecate or urinate where there is a source of water to drink. Many home remedies suggest putting out bowls, jugs or pots of water around the edge of the area to deter dogs.

Using the sprinkler at the visiting times for the roaming dogs will also deter dogs from soiling the area as they prefer not to urinate or defecate on wet grass.

American Veterinary Medicine Association online @ http://www.avma.org/reference/marketstats/ownership.asp

The Veterinary Information Network: Canine Behavior Series online @ http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2273&S=1&SourceID=47

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
Some ideas to deter the dogs:

Cayenne Pepper

Cayenne pepper or chili powder will cause nasal irritation and will be strong to the dogs sensitive sense of smell. Dry powder can be added to small areas, like garden areas. The power can be mixed with Vaseline to rub on items that you want to prevent the dog from chewing. The pepper can also be added to water to create a solution you can spray over larger areas.

[/i]
We have the one dog who is not phased by hot pepper. We originally purchased "Rap Last" pepper spray for our bridge girl, Scarlett, who underwent radiation on her leg for cancer. The only thing that kept her away from the resulting burn was to spray down the arm of a long-sleeved t-shirt with Rap Last, let it dry and then put it on her. Our current girl, Dixie, is a stress case. When we first adopted her she was a regular woodchuck. We tried bitter apple and that didn't work. We tried the Rap Last on one of the legs of our bed. Roy was spraying it on and it was so strong he was literally crying. In comes Dixie, she lays down and proceeds to lick the leg clean of the pepper spray:ep The only thing that kept her away from our wooden furniture was rubbing some solid deodorant on the areas she favored for chewing (but that did not deter the cat!)

Annette

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As for the dog....We too tried the cayenne pepper on the neighbor dog that kept digging &/or jumping the fence to our yard, even regular black pepper and it didn't even phase her and she's bloodhound/coonhound mix.
The only thing I found that worked with her was the hose. Every time I seen her digging or even smelling at the fence, I'd get the garden hose and spray her. It only took a few times of spraying her before she'd run if she heard me coming. She quit & now won't go near it.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Carpooled on the way to a conference about hoophouse veggie production.

As always, packed my supper for work.

Put all my heading over the hill veggies into a delicious borscht!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I got a PM asking how I salted scallions in an earlier post, so I'll answer it here.....

I rinse and trim the scallions, then use scissors to cut them into pieces about 1/2 inch long, green and white parts. I put a layer of salt in a jar (any size jar will do, but wide mouth is easiest to get them out of...I usually use a glass peanut butter jar) and a layer of scallions (maybe an inch before smashing?) Then another generous layer of salt and use a wooden spoon to really press them down. Add more scallions, more salt, etc until the jar is full. You can then put them right into the fridge or you can weight them down and ferment them for 2 days at room temp. If it is cool I might ferment them, if hot I'll put them into the fridge.

The next day the volume will have gone down and you can add more, or you can consolidate the jars if you did more than one jar. They will keep for months this way. You can rinse them when you use them or if the recipe needs salt, put them in unrinsed.

I also like to cut them up the same way and put them into ziploc freezer bags without salt or anything else. I preserve them both ways so I always have some. They are wonderful in soup!

MysticScorpio82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I started some Seeds today! This will become big savings later, when I am eating my own produce and NOT spending my money at the grocery store. :bun

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
got some fee lumber for the raised garden today and some one gave us a rabbit for our breeding to raise meat rabbits

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I got a PM asking how I salted scallions in an earlier post, so I'll answer it here.....

I rinse and trim the scallions, then use scissors to cut them into pieces about 1/2 inch long, green and white parts. I put a layer of salt in a jar (any size jar will do, but wide mouth is easiest to get them out of...I usually use a glass peanut butter jar) and a layer of scallions (maybe an inch before smashing?) Then another generous layer of salt and use a wooden spoon to really press them down. Add more scallions, more salt, etc until the jar is full. You can then put them right into the fridge or you can weight them down and ferment them for 2 days at room temp. If it is cool I might ferment them, if hot I'll put them into the fridge.

The next day the volume will have gone down and you can add more, or you can consolidate the jars if you did more than one jar. They will keep for months this way. You can rinse them when you use them or if the recipe needs salt, put them in unrinsed.

I also like to cut them up the same way and put them into ziploc freezer bags without salt or anything else. I preserve them both ways so I always have some. They are wonderful in soup!
Thanks for the info!!!! So, you just put them in soup? I guess I'm still confused on what to do with them... :idunno

And I can't believe that I have finally made it through the WHOLE :ep 170 pages of this thread, and I only found this site yesterday. Ok, so maybe I made the oldest make PB&J for the two youngest while I kept reading, but it was that kind of supper night anyway. :rolleyes:

I'm jealous of any of you who can get coupons doubled/tripled. We get coupons and that's it. And I'm jealous of anyone who actually gets decent coupons in the paper. We get lots of ads for junk.

And to not kill the thread..... (After 2 years, I don't think that's possible! :bow )

I saved money by spending money today. Ordered a 1/2 hog from a little local producer, who has his meat processed at one of the best places in the state. $1.55/lb for all natural pork, that includes butchering, processing, wrapping, and freezing. I can't buy cheapo ground turkey for $1.55/lb and this is going to be AWESOME!!!! :drool :love

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I mostly use the preserved scallions in soups and stews. The flavor it adds is superb. I often completely skip the onions and just use garlic and scallions. Adds some nice greens, too.

I use fresh scallions on my favorite salad: Leaf lettuce, washed but not spun in the salad spinner. Then add sour cream, scallions, and plenty of sea salt. YUM!

Latest posts