What did you do to save $ today?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We went fishing. As in, we went out and had a wonderful time without spending any money. (As long as you don't count the $8,000 boat... the $100 reels (EIGHT of them, lol). that money was spent long ago, so I don't think it counts anymore.

I also learned my dog is good in the boat (doesn't jump out after corks!) AND she is a dock-diving dog. Took her first jumps beautifully. :)

So I am looking forward to a summer of fun and FREE recreation.

If we're lucky we'll put some fish in the freezer. ;)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
DH went picking at the landfill, and is bringing home enough chain link fence to fence in our acre. I cannot imagine how much money that saves us :th

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Made homemade tortillas. I also hung the wash out on the line instead of using the dryer. Nothing exciting but it helps.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Sunny - Great score of the hazelnut trees. They start producing much younger than most nuts so you wont even have to wait that long.

Tortoise - Free trips are great.

BBrooks - That saved quite a chunk of money. :thumbsup

Coyote - Pleeeeze post the recipe. I want to learn to make tortillas. It's hard to find good ones in the stores.

I stopped by my community garden spot to get some spinach for my pizza and there were a bunch of empty pots somebody didn't want any more. Yay ! Now I don't need to buy them after all.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
here is the tortilla recipe I use. I make it with wheat flour.

HOMEMADE FLOUR TORTILLAS

Printed from COOKS.COM

2 c. unsifted flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. water or more as needed
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. shortening

Combine flour, salt, baking powder. Cut shortening into dry ingredients until it resembles coarse corn meal. Gradually add water, working it into flour until stiff. Let dough rest 5-10 minutes. Divide into 6-8 balls. Roll out on floured surface to 1/16-inch thick, about 6-7 inches diameter. On greased grill on medium-high, cook about 1 minute each side. It is important to immediately place cooked tortilla on warm plate and cover securely to prevent drying out.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yum...going to try the tortillas! Saved $ by living in the country and friends that live in the city called to see if they could come out. They brought brats and supper along. Great..then their dog can run with ours. Great to have good friends that feel comfortable enough to invite themselves out!:hugs

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Thank you :drool That looks pretty easy. I'll pick up a rolling pin or dowel so I can do them. :drool ( picturing yummy burritos with all my favorite stuff on them )

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Started mulching my strawberry bed with newspaper. I've never done it this big before and I'm worried it might not "take." The theory is... you've gotten a book wet with water? It glues together.

But still it was satisfying to use Menards ads for mulch AS mulch!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
$22 at an auction plus a few coats of paint, and my son has the coolest toy chest EVER.

Every toy he has fits in it, a drawer for each type of toy. I hope I NEVER have to pick up his room or take away his toys for not cleaning his room. Ever. Never.

J's toy chest by tortoise11, on Flickr