What did you do to save $ today?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm.....GRRRRR!!!! Should I say I saved money on catfood because one of my cats jumped up on the counter and ate all the first leaves off my lettuce and collards sprouts that I put under the light on the stove vent fan while I was building my grow-light stand???

Everything is safe and sound and cat-free in the cellar now. Whew! Cats! :smack

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't been anywhere today so that counts right ;) I butchered a rooster and started some potatoes today :celebrate

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I made a cheese press today, all out of salvaged materials!!! I would post a picture, but it is pressing cheddar right now, and it is on my very messy counter. It's just not happening. Maybe tomorrow....

And that leads me to.....I made cheddar today!!! I won't know for a couple of months if it is any good, but unlike my mozzarella attempts, everything seemed to be working the way the book says it should. So I am psyched.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Third batch of cheddar in the press right now. At about two pounds each, it had better be good! I won't even know for at least two months! I'm gonna adjust my press to allow for a four-gallon/four pound batch. Just have to make another simple follower that is two inches shorter, I think.

I have four little lasagnas on the counter right now, waiting to go into the oven. They are made in loaf pans so I can freeze a couple of them more easily. They were made with homemade mozzarella....the batch that worked is on top, and some of the batches that didn't are in the filling with some ricotta and turkey and chicken eggs. The noodles were homemade from home-ground wheat and of course, our eggs.

The only thing I needed to buy to make this was the ground bison and the romano cheese, which I needed to boost the flavor of my cheese. I think. We will know tonight! Oh, and the spaghetti sauce was some I canned. Didn't grow the tomatoes, though, but did grow the herbs.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Wow freemotion, wish I were your neighbor, I'd be begging some cheese from you. Actually I'm more into trading or bartering.

I made soap yesterday. I didn't make it from scratch though.
Today I volunteered at the local Humane Society, so I saved them some money.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'd barter with you, FD! The soap sounds great! I like the blossom bits in it, too. Did you dry those yourself? I have some lavender blossoms I bought, I might throw those in a batch, add some interest to my plain, white bars.

The lasagna was scrumptious!!! Food is so much better when you participate in it more fully, isn't it? My dream is a meal completely grown by us. Completely. Well, can I use black pepper?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I made peach jam out of frozen peaches that were not getting eaten in smoothies, and I made bagels today, and I made yogurt (again--I make yogurt about three times a week). And I hung three loads on the clothesline. Yay!!

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Winnowed 6 cups of wheat to get some of the grasshopper heads out, then ground it and baked 4 loaves of bread. :weee

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Tallman said:
Winnowed 6 cups of wheat to get some of the grasshopper heads out, then ground it and baked 4 loaves of bread. :weee
You removed all the protein??? :D
If you will notice, I said "some" grasshopper heads. :plbb

Want to do some bartering? :gig