What did you do to save $ today?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Yesterday we had to go to the local grocery for 1 item. This grocer has a 'Mystery Sale Item' every night from 6-9.

Last night, the MSI was Lay's potato chips - buy one $3.99 bag and get two free! DH likes to take these in his lunch. Normally we wouldn't buy them, but that was a good sale for an item dh likes.

Today, we are going to church for Christian Cafe: rigatoni & meatballs, tossed salad, fruit salad, fresh fruit, cottage cheese, dessert and beverage. Since we have a class tonight, we would be going to church anyway, and Christian Cafe is free.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Chips are $3.99 a bag? :ep Wow, it's been a long time since I've bought them....think I paid $0.99 (not on sale) last time I bought 'tater chips!

My dad killed my two extra toms yesterday (I plucked, a first for me!) and I am no longer wasting feed on the vicious rooster. Whew. I can enjoy my other animals without watching my back with a stick in my hand! Although I wear the scars on my legs as a reminder.

KarbonCinq

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Chips are $3.99 a bag? :ep
Yep the big bags are. I gave up on Lay's & all the big companies.

We pay about $2.99 for a smaller bag of kettle cooked chips; I forget the company's name but they have a flavor called Thai Spice that is really good! :drool

But that's not why posted. I saved money by fixing a belt loop on my son's shorts:

1005_img_0104.jpg

He's in college, so if I save him money, I save me money. ;)

I don't mind sewing, but makes me want to sit down when I pee.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ditto here. I'm not a guy but I just bought my first patterns to make some outfits for my daughter. After the costs of materials, I'll probably have saved at least $20. Once I've had some practice doing her stuff (she's a toddler, anything looks cute on her) I can start making clothes for the rest of us.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
KarbonCinq said:
ROTFLMAO at that one!!! I sew all my own buttons on, and if the wife needs a STRAIGHT seam stitched, she calls me. Love that girl to death, but she can't do ANYTHING in a straight line!! :lol:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
KarbonCinq wrote
Took me a moment to get it :rolleyes: :lol:

Mending and sewing has sure saved me lots of money. I used to sew the cutest clothes for my daughter. We both used to get lots of compliments.
I started sewing when I was around five. My mother sewed most of our clothes when we were kids, so I wanted to make my doll's clothes. As a teen I became real good at sewing some pretty fancy stuff, as did my sister. Of course we always had mom to help us out, if we got in a jam. My sister and I were voted the best dressed kids in school along with one other girl, who also sewed her own clothes. We were below the poverty level and would buy the fabric on sale. We also made mom's clothes, since she was usually too busy to sew anything for herself.
My brother learned to sew, just from watching us. Since he was a boy, my parents didn't think to teach him. :barnie But when he moved out on his own, he was able to figure it out. He made curtains and slipcovers for his junky second hand furniture. Sure made his place look nice.